RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I need to replace the igneitor sensor in Atwood Excalibur

Customer Question
8500 -III but it...
I need to replace the igneitor sensor in Atwood Excalibur 8500 -III but it looks like a rediculously hard access. Any tips?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: It is sequencing properly, but it is not seeing the flame (heat) so it shuts down after 6 seconds as designed.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Layton 7500 1997.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried nothing. I know what to do . just askings for any tips on making it an easier job than it looks like Access is terrible, do I have to pull the whole thing out ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New gas supply, gas valve is operational, ignitor is igniting, sail switch is fine, not sensing flame.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: RV
11/26/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 12 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That sensor as you refer to it is on the control board. The actual metal portion is on the burner assy and I have almost never seen anyone use or need one in over 15 years of working on these. Get a new Dinosaur Electronics board and install that. The one you want is called a "UIB-S" version and shop around as the price varies. Don't forget to check the LP working pressure at the tank regulator as that can affect this and lead to a damaged burner head if it gets too low. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

In addition to what I share in my previous response I am adding a link to the Atwood Hydroflame Serivce Manual for you. Click on that and then print out a copy. Good information in there and it describes the way the flame sense works. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago

Since I didn't hear back from you I am wondering if you saw my earlier responses or not? Or were you able to get this resolved with the information I provided? Please let me know if you need additional input on this issue. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification