Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

The chassis battery went dead overnight. What could cause

Customer Question

The chassis battery went dead overnight. What could cause that
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2013 Newmar canyon star
JA: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to see what caused it so we can get it started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's been reading good everyday until this morning
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Are these the OEM batteries or not? Most will only hold up about years and so the first thing would be to have them load tested to be sure they aren't beginning to fail. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. If you remove them for testing, be sure to take some photos of the cables and orientation in the tray or make some good diagrams so you get them back in again correctly. Check them for water as they may be low if you haven't done that recently. If you can see the plates they may be "toasted" as that allows them to overheat. Once we rule that out as a proximate cause we can do some checking on some of the other things that may cause this. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tested with meter and battery is dead how many batteries are there
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

There should be two chassis batteries and most of these have four 6-VDC house batteries. They would be in one of your storage bays. Attach a photo to your post if you aren't sure which is which. Use the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What battery is in the engine compartment l thought that was the chassis battery
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It might be.........the location varies from year to year. If there is only one battery there that will be the chassis battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Forget it for now I will call dealer in morning how much are they going to charge my card?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I have no idea..........I don't get into that end of this