Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My Dometic portable ice maker keeps saying add water, but

Customer Question

My Dometic portable ice maker keeps saying add water, but it's full of water. I've emptied in 3 or 4 times. Unplugged it multiple times, but it still says add water
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2016 Ace 30.1, but the ice maker was is portable
JA: What is the model of your '16 RV?
Customer: 2016
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's not the RV, it's the portable ice maker
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.......

This could be a bad micro switch or the plastic housing that attaches to the motor may be cracked, if this is a 2016 it should be under warranty so that is something to consider, there are some U-tube videos out on how to repair the plastic housing if it is cracked but the machine will have to be taken apart, click HERE to view. IF it is under a year old then I would see if it can be replaced under warranty. Another thing to try is fill it up with some water and vinegar and let it sit, sometimes the vinegar will help clean everything 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water is what Dometic recommends. Hope this helps some.... Robert