Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Have a 24'damon 1991///fan in bottom of converter burned up

Customer Question

have a 24'damon 1991///fan in bottom of converter burned up & wire conectors are toast. can this be fixed, money is a concern. also furnace will not egnite. refridgerator operates on gas only. does the converter play a part in this. thank you ,henry husenann
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: did you get my message
JA: What is the model of your '91 RV?
Customer: escaper
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: furnace//pulled out..egniter and checked it and put it back. no spark .removed converter /// removed burned up fan motor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes roof air is not cold. this camper looks new in and out.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

IF the wires on the converter are burnt up then it might be best to replace the converter, most converters are not to expensive and the labor is about 1 to 2 hours, the benefit of having a RV shop do the repair is you will get a warranty and will not have to worry when hooking all the wires up.

IF the fan is coming on for the furnace but it is NOT sparking the fan may not be spinning fast enough to close the sail switch which can be related to the power converter if it is not putting out the proper voltage, only after the fan is spinning fast enough it will close the sail switch and send a signal to the board, once the board sees the signal you will get spark and the gas valve will open up. I would really advise to get the converter replaced and then go from there. IF you get the make and model of the converter and call a local RV shop they should be able to tell you which converter is most compatible so you have an idea on the cost.

Once the DC voltage gets below 11 volts the appliance will start to fail, even the fridge needs DC voltage to work on AC power, it is required for the circuit board.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

HI... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert