Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Hydro flame Mod. no. 8535-II in a 1994 Avion 5th

Customer Question

I have a Hydro flame Mod. no. 8535-II in a 1994 Avion 5th wheel trailer.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: furnace works fine as long as I'm hooked up to shore power or running the generator, but when I'm on batteries only, it starts up with the thermostat, motor runs but it will not ignite. It seems to try. I hear the gas solenoid once but I don't hear the ignitor. Like I said, it ignites fine on AC.
JA: What is the model of your '94 RV?
Customer: Avion 31' 5th wheel
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't really "fixed" on it yet, just troubleshooting and checking what's working and not working.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

The first thing to do here is have the battery(s) load tested. If you only have one, you should have another added as all these larger 5th wheels were designed to have at least two batteries. When you don't have genset or shore power, one battery will run down quickly and the furnace can't run even one night that way. Most RV batteries will only go about 3 years so if yours is approaching that age or more, it may be time for a change. Most places that sell batteries will load test them for you. I would get a small digital multimeter if you don't have one and check the charging rate at the battery. Good converters should put out about 13.7 VDC at the batteries. Less than 13 VDC would indicate a converter that is going bad. Dirty battery cables might be affecting the available voltage. A meter is about $20 or so and easy to use. If you haven't had the LP working pressure checked in the last year, you might want to do that as well. This is often neglected and very important as to the overall performance of any furnace. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included and fully expected.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Since I haven't heard back from you it would seem likely that you have resolved this issue. If that is not the case and you still need some assistance and input from me here please get back to me. Thanks!