Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a dometicrefrigerator. Is running fine on gas but

Customer Question

we have a dometic*****refrigerator. Is running fine on gas but doesn't seem to be cooling on 12v or 240v (we are in New Zealand). The rest of the van electrics seem fine for 12v/240v so I don't think it is a generalised power issue.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It's what we call a caravan and you would call a trailer so vehcile engine consumption not an issue here.
JA: What year is your Caravan?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just doing the problem solving to see before going for expert help.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: we run the fridge off 240v from the house a fair bit especialy to pre-cool before taking the caravan away on a trip. Could the 240v heater unit have gone faulty, though I wouldn't expect this to affect the 12v a well.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

The AC heating element may have gone bad but, it would be unusual for both that and the DC element to go bad at the same time. More likely it is in the controls for this. You can do some testing on this with a small digital multimeter as long as you can easily get to the rear of the fridge and access the lead for the elements. Most of the time you can by removing the outside inspection panel. Le me know if that is an option and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Since I never heard back from you, I am thinking you were able to resolve this issue, but if not, please get back to me and I can assist you in tracking down the problem.