Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I plugged in my 2016 40g and can't get nothing in the unit

I plugged in my 2016 40g and can't get nothing in the unit to work. Unplugged the plug. Started generator now it won't power anything. Only works off inverter. Did I blow a fuse somewhere if so where is it?

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Are you talking about AC or DC power or both?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Works on inverter.. I plugged it in nothing works but power is coming to the coach. Started generator it doesn't power up anything either..

You checked all the breakers in the load center? If so, then the most likely problem is in the automatic transfer switch. That is what allows switching power from one source to another and when then go bad it either allows only one source or in some cases no source. Testing it with a small multimeter is the best way to test this. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already checked power coming out of that transfer box. Nothing coming out. Thought their was a fuse or switch somewhere
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's what I meant by power coming to the coach.

No. Only thing on the genset side is the breakers on the set. On shore power it would only be if you have a load protective device.

If you have a cord reel, that can be a problem, but won't affect the genset power. ATS issues are a common problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do have a cord real
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll need to check gen when I get back to coach.

The reel connections can go bad and the genset may just have the breakers tripped or just off. Let me know what you find, but it sounds like you already know how to test for power in and out of the ATS with your meter. Red and black are positive and white is neutral. Green is ground.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue? Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this and you need additional input from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm assuming its the transfer box? Power comes in but doesn't go out.. Not sure what else it could be

That pretty much tells the story. Some brands you can buy parts for, but most you have to buy the whole unit. Shop around as the price varies and especially brand to brand.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I bought an extended warranty I'm hoping it covers it. The coach is only 16 months old

It should.........as most of these do. It is pretty unusual for them to fail that quickly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help

You are most welcome! Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer.

Just checking back in to see how this turned out. I am hoping that your warranty did cover it for you. Please let me know and entering in a rating here would be appreciated as that is the only way we get credit from the site for assisting you. And please let your friends know about the service we provide here. If you have more issues "down the road" as they say, please feel free to ask for me by name. Be safe!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Very strange... Does the transfer switch have to have some battery current to work.. Let the generator run for several hours and now I have full power again off gen...

No, it is only energized with the AC current. I suspect that the vibration of the unit allowed good contact again on the contacts. Or it may have a loose connection in there. I would still have it checked while you are under warranty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds good. Thx I will rate this. Thx for your follow up