RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 1998 Santara Coachman with a Norcold fridge. We…

We have a 1998...

We have a 1998 Santara Coachman with a Norcold fridge. We used it for a few months with no issues. Now we can not get it to ignite when turned over to gas. You can hear it click but it is not igniting. Where can we ignite it manually?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

I do not have that information. It is up at our camp right now because of hunting season. I will have to get that information and contact you again. Is there a way of igniting it manually?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I think it has been replaced since the motor home was originally produced. It is a fridge and freezer. It will show that it is running on gas and then it lights up saying to check it. We have checked to see that it is getting gas

10/4/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert..

What I would do is access the burner tube, the burner tube sits below the electrode or what sparks. Get an air nozzle and clean the burner tube out really good, sometimes debris, small bugs can get into the tube and you might not get flame. Make sure the DC voltage going into the fridge is also good if the voltage was low the fridge may not work properly. It also could be an issue with the electrode, LP gas pressure OR circuit board.

Go to the main LP tank and shut the valve SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if that main valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not have the proper LP pressure. In the shop a manometer is used to check the line pressure at the back of the fridge. Make sure the electrode or what sparks is 1/8" over the burner tube, if it was gaped to far it might not want to start on LP.

I also might pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol, sometimes they can get gummed up. You could try and get a bbq lighter and hold it in the are of the burner tube when it is sparking and see if it will stay running for you....

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out. IF needed you can also follow up with me, but make sure you have the model number... Robert

I see you opened another question, I closed that so you do not get charged again. IF you have anymore questions or concerns please respond here.....

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic