RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I am having a cooling problem and now I also have hard

Customer Question
steering with my power steering...
i am having a cooling problem and now I also have hard steering with my power steering. both the cooling fan and the power steering run off the same system which leads me to believe my problem is with this hydraulic system. I have flushed and filled the radiator and had both thermostats changed this summer but it still does the same thing. the cooling problem seems to be related to road speed, not engine speed. it will run fine at 60 MPH either alone or pulling the tow vehicle. it is a 1998 American eagle 40' with a 330 Cummings side radiator in a sparten chassis. we pull a 2013 Ford F-150 four daon.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: I check it on a regular basis and it looks good and is not losing a lot of fluid. no noise in the power steering it has just gotten harder and harder to turn at low speeds and now I really have to put some muscle into it to make even a regular turn. it turns better to the left than to the right.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: American eagle 1998 330 Cummings with side radiator
JA: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: flushed and filled the radiator. hade thermostats changed at cummins dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
9/20/2016
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the power steering pump tested to see if it is failing to produce enough pressure this needs done.I have seen several power steering pump failures in the past before cause this issue here needing replaced.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

As for the over heating issue if the fan is not coming on check fan connections for any issues (if this has the electric fan(s) ).If any faults are found they will need repaired to correct this here.If this is not an electronic cooling fan system let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician