Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

The latch on my Atwood MH door is very hard to unlatch. Is

Customer Question

The latch on my Atwood MH door is very hard to unlatch. Is there a diagram available so I can take it apart to lubricate the internal mechanism?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if the latch is their product? Most are made by Trimark. I am attaching a link to some by Atwood. See if yours looks like these or attach a photo of yours to your post using the paperclip icon. http://www.makariosrv.com/ap-products-rv-entry-motor-home-door-lock-black-013-257/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall, I am trying to send you photos, but the size limit has been a problem. I have now solved that and have attached three views of my door, interior, edge, and outside.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Good job on the photos. I am not sure whose lock that is, but you can take it out of the door by removing those scfrews on the inside AND those on the locking side. That allows the whole thing to come out so you can get some white grease in there and work it while it is out. Put it back the same way. Hope that helps. Please get back to me if you need more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I remove all the screws that I can see on the inside and the door edge, the whole latch/lock will come out and nothing will fall off? I have had too many experiences with pieces getting lost when I took something apart.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Both halves are going to stay intact so long as nothing is broken inside. Have someone hold some pressure on the outside portion while you remove the screws on the inside and AFTER you remove the two on the end where the latch is. That will allow the halves to come out of the door. OR you can leave the two screws in and keep pressure on the outside and just remove the inside and try some white lithium grease spray on the moving parts on the outer halve and lube the locking mechanism on the inside half. Then put the inside half back on and put the screws back in again.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or if you need additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Torx bit broke flush with the head of the screw! It was the last of three in the edge of the door and one of the others had blue in the threads - Loctite?
How can I get the broken bit out? It is lodged quite tight.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I suspect so............I have never seen anyone Loctite those in. Kind of overkill!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That might be a tough one.........but, if you use some WD40 or something similar it should be able to come out using a knife point. I don' recall ever breaking a Torx bit before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The broken bit has fallen out. Before I break another bit, what can I do to break the Loctite loose?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You can heat it up with a blow dryer and that should soften it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall,
I am on the road an will not be able to do any more until I reach home base in about 10 days. Can we put this conversation on hold until then?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sure........just Bookmark it and you can come right back to it again anytime. I am here every day.