RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My chassis battery is not charging when my 2009 Fleetwood

Customer Question
My chassis battery is not...
My chassis battery is not charging when my 2009 Fleetwood Flair (30H) is plugged into 120V AC with the shore line. The coach batteries are charging. I think their might be a malfunctioning relay or other component. The AUX engine start switch also is not working to start the engine with the coach batteries. Suggestions?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: Yes, the motor coach has been starting normally. I jumped the battery and it started right up.
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything so far. Just had the problem yesterday. The manual says the chassis battery should charge when connected to shore power. I hadn't started the RV for about a month.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
9/8/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

Normally the charging will go through a solenoid and it could be the one that is not working for the aux boost, I would find that solenoid, if you can not hear it click each time go to the battery and follow the cables, the charge solenoid will have a cable going to both the chassis and house batteries, check for voltage on the large posts if you only have power on one post jump the posts and see if the battery starts charging if so you could have a bad solenoid. To complex things sometimes you will have a battery control box with a printed circuit board with fuses, breakers and possibly the solenoids inside, it would be on the outside of the RV sometimes under the front engine access, if you see that please get me the make and model on the box....

If there is an issue with the battery draining down what you could also do is add a manual disconnect at the battery to prevent it from draining down... Hope this helps some... Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic