RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2006 Dutchman grand junction, I was checking things

Customer Question
out before going on my...
I have a 2006 Dutchman grand junction, I was checking things out before going on my trip, water heater will not work on gas , the electric side works just by flipping the switch on in the access compartment, there are 2 switches inside the rv, but don't seem to have any effect on the electric side of the hwh, yet the gas side is 12v and there is no 12 v on the hl or tstat and no voltage on the brown wire going to the solenoid valves and no 12v to the igniter module, there are no blown fuses, and checking voltage on the 2 switches when you walk in where the controls for the gen set is located and tank and water levels are there is voltage on those switches, and why 2 switches, these are both 12v and seem to have no control on the electric side of the hwh, so why 2 switches, I know I have a voltage problem, locating it is my problem, if I only knew the complete routing of the wiring thru out the rv , maybe I could find it or where they could have possibly where j boxes might have been installed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
9/4/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is robert...

What is the make and model of the water heater?

Robert

Sounds like an Atwood.....

IF you can get the model number please let me know. Normally you will have a switch inside for LP and AC, when you hit the switch it should send a 12 volt signal to the circuit board, pull the connector off the circuit board, turn the switch ON and see if you are getting voltage, turn the other switch ON and you should have voltage on a different pin on the connector. IF you have 12 volts going to the board via the switch and nothing at ALL is happening you could have a bad circuit board, pull the connector on the board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, sometimes this is a weak link. Next I would have a RV shop test the board, they do make a special board tester and most every RV shop/ store has the ability to check the board. Let me know if you need more help, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic