Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 94 Winnebago Chieftain 34RQ, front Brake pads look

Customer Question

I have a 94 Winnebago Chieftain 34RQ, front Brake pads look good but a slight squeal when breaking. Trying locate the brake Master cylinder to check fluid
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The master cylinder is on the opposite side of the firewall from the brake pedal, about 8 inches above where you place your foot on the pedal. The mater cylinder nor the fluid will cause a squeal. The contact surface of the rotor or pads or the brake pad mounting hardware rubbing the rotor would cause a squeal. Normally its road debris like a tiny piece of sand or rock embedded in the pad causing this. Machining the rotors and new pads and hardware would resolve this.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Wilbert sorry for delay ,thanks for asking your question

Brakes squealing when they are applied can a few things, either the pads are getting low (note this can be just 1 pad on either inner or outer side) and are hitting the squeelers to let you know they are getting low and need replacement or pads/rotors are glazed and need attention, or you have brake dust accumulated on pads.

All of these issues would require pad replacement and rotors cut to fix correctly, note better pads won't allow dust to accumulate and cause squealing so spend the extra money for problem free barkes.

The fluid level won't cause your issue but brake reservoir is on firewall side opposite the brake pedal itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay, but checked again, master cylinder is not on firewall. Any further info would be helpful. I'll jack it up tomorrow and check entire under carriage.

Thanks for getting back with me. Since your still not able to visually see the master cylinder in this tight engine compartment. You can follow any of the brake lines from the wheels up to the master cylinder. The front drivers side brake line would be the easiest to follow.

This is my 2nd answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris