RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I just replaced an Atwood GC6AA-9E with a 10E tank. The 9E

Customer Question
was gas/ electric with auto...
I just replaced an Atwood GC6AA-9E with a 10E tank. The 9E was gas/ electric with auto pilot. The 10E tank is wired with a relay and no internal thermostat. Can I retro fit this and what do I need?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/14/2016
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 1 year ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician

The thermostat is used on the new unit for gas and electric on the old it had 2 thermostats, so knowing this, please expand on your question a bit so I can help you better, thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Atwood GC6AA-9E has 2 internal. The tank I replaced it with is a GC6AA-10E, it has no internal thermostats and is wired with a relay rather than an on/off switch. I didn't notice it until after replacement. How do I make the newer tank operate? Can I just purchase an external thermostat?

thanks for responding, so did you replace the entire unit, or just the tank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the tank.

the old tank had accomidation for the thermostats, the new does not on the 10e, it uses that relay and receives a signal from a different control module to turn it on/off, the thermostat being the same for both gas and electric. Is your issue that there is no where to put the original thermostat for the electric element on the rear?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well the original had thermostats built into tank. The replacement has no built in thermostats or a place for them. I'm assuming there's a separate thermostat for the 10E?

the problem is the 10e uses the thermostat located on the front to operate the gas and electric, the control board is different, when the thermostat calls for heat gas or electric, it sends a signal on gas to the valve and igniter, on electric to the solenoid, there is no accommodation for the thermostat and eoc on the 10e, would be best if you got the correct tank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry, but I discovered that there's a way to retro fit this tank to work just fine. Thanks for trying

thanks I'm curious are you welding a couple of threaded studs on the back?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are studs there, just further apart. Fit a plate over it to secure difference in space and completely did away with the relay and box and wired in switch and used original thermostats.

Excellent, good job, I will relate that to others. thanks Michael

Michael Reush
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician