RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have lost AC power to my 1989 coachman motorhome.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

Are you missing ALL the AC power? AND do you have a generator? IF you start the generator do you get your AC power back???

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The generator is non-operating. I have had the RV plugged in to 110 V with the short pigtail adapter to the 30 amp power cord for the last couple weeks, and everything works fine. Today I got an extension cord to plug it directly into a 30 amp Outlet, and it popped the breaker in the building I was plugging into. I went back to trying to use the 110 pigtail, and it shorted out and caused a spark. I bought a new 120, pigtail and still nothing. I have checked for ground fault outlet so that might've popped, and all the breakers in the motorhome are OK. I am not sure why am not getting AC again off the 110.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Yes, I also try to help other customers but I always respond.... I can do a phone service but there is an added fee for that, if not I can help you in this format and we can go back and forth as much as needed.

SO right now are you using any adapters or pigtails on the main cord???

Robert

What I am thinking is this could be an issue with the Transfer Switch (TS) DO you have to physically plug a cord in for the generator to allow AC power into the RV OR is it automatic, you start the generator and have power available??? I understand the generator is not working.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. ***** tried connecting it directly to a 220 outlet, and the buildings breaker popped, I plugged it back into the 110 like I have done before, but When I plugged it back into the 110 like I had done before, but it sparked at the 110 outlet, and partially fried the prongs. I have only had this motorhome a couple weeks, I've never used the generator because I was told it doesn't work, where would I find the transfer switch?

OK

Well here is the issue if you plugged into 220 you may have done some damage to the RV...... So you are going to have to trace the AC power to the breaker panel. The first stop is the TS the cord from both the generator and shore cord will go to it. Follow the cords and you will find it. IF you have AC power going in and nothing coming out it has failed. It can be next to the shorecord outside or inside the RV, under the bed, in the closest, behind the breaker panel. I can also say that if you plugged into 220 the power converter probably failed and that could be the issue.... Since 220 was involved I might consider having a shop take a look to see what got damaged and what is good, the fridge, roof AC, power converter, microwave and TVS can all suffer damage. I know this is not good news but it may be best to have a shop take a look, if not then you are going to have to follow the AC source to the breaker panel BUT I would plug into a good 30 amp service with NO cords or adapters so you can see what is going on.... Hope this helps... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this RV, 1989 coachman, supposed to only be a 110 unit?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did I fry it by putting 220 to it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I plugged The refrigerator into a 110 extension cord and it still working fine. If I fried the power inverter would that affect the 110?

OK...

Most ALL RV'S require 110 to operate, applying 220 direct is very damaging. Yes if you fried the power conveter it would create a dead short and trip the post breaker and might not supply AC power at all. Also go around and make sure you do not have any GFI'S that are tripped, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them. I think at this point I would plug into a 30 amp service and see what works, this will eliminate the supply as the problem, if you still have issues then you know the power converter or transfer switch got damaged, have to follow that path of AC power. Some owners think using a dryer outlet or welding outlet will work when it will not as it is 220 direct..... Robert

On a 30 amp service you will have 1 110 leg coming in, on a 50 amp service you will have 2 110 legs to equal 220....

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic