Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Tranny for 1996 coachmen E350 Santana was first diagnosed

Customer Question

Tranny for 1996 coachmen E350 Santana was first diagnosed with blown front seal and still had fluid in it. Now telling me tranny no good. Not saying what. I am stranded in NY. From GA. They said when they dropped the pan there was no fluid at all.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a rebuilt in order or do I need to get more info from repair shop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No offer yet. They said they would call me by 10 am tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I spoke to them earlier the rep just said that tranny was no good. When I asked how that was determined they said there was no fluid when panned dropped.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Dropping the pan and finding no fluid is not good but it does not wrap up the diag. They need to refill and test it prior to doing any other repair. Why would they even pull the pan to repair a front pump seal? So far there is not enough information to say if a overhaul is needed. There is enough info to confirm the transmission needs to be removed to replace the front seal and inspect the seal surface on the converter snout. However you do not want to do that till test driving it. You do not want to fix the leak and then find out its not shifting right and have to pull it again.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was determined that a rebuilt would be best choice. The bronze bushing behind the seal had pushed the seal out apparently after overheating for what ever reason. Choices were send to rebuild for unknown damage which could not be determined until opened up. Or order a rebuild which had been located after a couple of days of searching. This particular tranny has been discontinued by Ford. Rebuild cost 2995.00.

Are you needing any more help from me?