Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Onan Emerald 1 Genset 4B generator in a 1989 Coachman RV

Customer Question

Onan Emerald 1 Genset 4B generator in a 1989 Coachman RV will start but as soon as you let go of the button it shuts off. It does this using both inside start or outside start buttons. It worked fine last month.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is this a 4BGE set?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If not, let me know. One of the most common problems when this happens is an oil pressure switch that is "stuck" and another is low oil volume. Be sure that is checked. It can be other things as well. Please get back to me with the complete model number and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you mean by set.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

"Genset"...........generator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the oil pressure switch? I have no manual or schematic sheets on this generator. It is in the motor home not out of it. It is gas run.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Open up the cover and look at the data tag and give me the complete model number. I can help you once I know that and be more specific.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Onan Emerald 1 genset 4BCELH26109C
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recently the oil and filter has been changed and the oil level is correct.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Could that maybe be "4BGE....." on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could be, it was hard to see the model number because it is worn.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am pretty sure it is and I am attaching a Trouble Shooting guide from Flight Systems who make great quality after market boards for these. Print it out and read through it. It give some steps of things to check for this problem. If you have a small digital multimeter that would help here as well. About $20 or so at most hardware stores. Please get back to me once you do this checks and having a service manual would be very helpful here. I can grab a link for you on that as well. Several good sources out there online. https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a link to a good source for those. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100518

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to a parts source. Amazon is another. If you do need a new controller or control board I would go with Flight Systems and I think they list those for you. It is based on the model and Spec number, which on yours is "C" according to what you gave me. http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/page.html?chapter=0&id=7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will give this to him. Do you know what the 12 volt fuel pump pressure should be and if that could be the issue?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It could be, but not likely.........about 4 psi is the norm. I would check the oil pressure switch as that is a common cause when it sticks. Did you print out the trouble shooting guide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and I printed out the other one too once I located it in someone's drop box.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I would get a copy of the Service Manual for this. I haven't worked on this set in my shop for some time now and don't recall all that from here. I am at home right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I get a Service Manual for it. That link you gave me just went into a web site that will force me to use their browser and their home page; I don't want to do that.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This one should work fine. He sends these out if you ask. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100518

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure yet. I'm on the Central West Coast of Florida and it's been 4 days of heavy rain and the RV is under a car port. I am hoping we'll get relief from the rain today. Thank you.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

O.K..........get back to me when it quits! I used to live in Orlando, so I know how it can rain there!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just checked the oil switch, it's not that. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Unplug each of the leads into the control board and plug them back in again. It might be just a bad contact. If that doesn't help it sounds like a bad board. See those trouble shooting steps in the link I gave you. Eliminate them one at a time.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back to see if you were able to resolve this issue with the material I provided or do you still need some additional input from me here?