RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 19' micro mini. I wish to connect the rear camera

Customer Question
to the camper however there...
I have a 19' micro mini. I wish to connect the rear camera to the camper however there is no voltage on the bracket wiring where do I find and connect it a picture would help
Phil Evans Navarre Fl.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2016
RV Mechanic: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you, Phil.

What is the model of the camera, or of the monitor/system it is to be connected to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have at my disposal several different cameras all 12v I just need to get the voltage on the 2 conductor wiring at the rear
I'm just not familiar with the landing at the panel on the other end if its located in the electrical panel or behind the refrigerator or elsewhere
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ay use the furon

Are these all wired (signal) cameras?
Or are they wireless (for the video signal)?
If they are only 2 wire, I'd assume they are likely wireless, a 900mhz type or similar.

If it is a wired one, where it wires directly to the monitor/display, you'd expect at least 3 wires, a ground, +12v or +5v, and a signal, or a 4 wire with ground/+ and signal/ground (mini coax type).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all are wireless all I have is 2 wires

Was there a camera there previously? Is this a bracket up top, or down by the bumper?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
bracket on top

Can you try turning the parking lights/headlights on and then test if you get any power to it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried pk lts and headlights and back up no power

Check brakes and flashers/blinkers as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sir

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I could get a schematic of the RV wiring I know I can deal from there I just did not want to tear into it without some idea where to look

What is the complete model number of it? I may be able to find you something from that. If not, I'll opt out and see if another tech has any info on it.

There are a lot of variables here, that line may tied off of something in the bathroom in the back or other wiring that has a blown fuse that you may not even realize.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 2016 Micro Light VIN 4x4tflu13gd407159
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Flagstaff if that helps

Sorry I'm not able to locate any schematics for this, because it is a new model it may not be published yet.

I'd check with your dealer on that. I'll opt out and see if another tech here has any info on it.

Thanks,

RV Mechanic: Greg A., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hi Phil,

I saw your question here and was looking at a brochure for the entire line 2016 of trailers (CLICK HERE for Brochure), and noticed on page 15 (item D), that all of these trailers are supposed to come with what they are calling "Rear Camera Prep." and this is supposed to be a "standard feature" on all of these trailers.

Now I have not found the details yet, but I would think that part of the "camera prep" would be to have power and ground connections - right at that mounting point for a Rear camera.

Note: I saw the same pictures that are in the brochure on the "Gallery" page for the manufacturer of these units. CLICK HERE to visit that page and take a look at the gallery.

So what I would recommend it to examine the back of your trailer - at the top-center and see if you have any kind of "Camera Prep" area, and perhaps a cover plate. If so, I would try removing that plate or opening the cover and see if there are power wires there - to connect your current cameras.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
here in lies the problem the wiring is there however the power is not and my original question is where in the camper does It terminate so I can activate it I just did not want to hunt for it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are 2 wires that come from the truck one is constant power and the other is the back-up lights either will suffice for me I'm just not familiar with the way the harness comes in and where the wire on the rear terminates

OK - I have a couple of RV/Trailer places in my area and will try to see if I can get more details about the wiring in this particular series of unit for you.

I will let you know what I find.

Hi again Phil,

Sorry for the delayed response. I did check with the local dealers in my area, and even a couple that were not really in the area, and struck out on getting a schematic/wiring diagram for this trailer and option.

BUT, one person I talked with was kind enough to tell me that when MOST of these cameras are installed (as an option), they normally wire them to the closest "running light" - for both power and ground.

Also, I have a call or two out to the manufacturer, but have not had a callback as of yet. This MAY be because I'm not the "owner" of the unit, and you MAY have a more timely response if you contact them directly. Here is the contact page link: http://forestriverinc.com/ContactUs.aspx

Please let me know what you find and I will let you know if I hear anything more back for the manufacturer.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer