peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I bought 1986 Chevy Monaco P37 Motorhome RV. The black cord

Customer Question

I bought 1986 Chevy Monaco P37 Motorhome RV. The black cord is coming out of the rv 30 amp. Do I just get the adapter and plug it into a wall? Also when I start the generator and turn on the AC units they dont work. Why and how do I fix?
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you have the standard 30 amp connector you can purchase a wall outlet adapter from a RV parts store or in some cases department stores that carry this adapter.

As for the generator not running the ac units I doubt that both ac units are defective at the same time as this is uncommon but check and make sure all circuit breakers are switched on and o.k.If these are all o.k. this may be a fault with the generator output with worn brushes or a faulty coil needing replaced.You would want to have the generator tested to see if it is o.k. as well as the ac connections to the breaker box and wiring to the ac units for any issues needing repaired.

It is difficult to pinpoint this issue from here without seeing this model but these are usually the most common causes.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this it. If not can you send a picture

Yes that does look like the correct one that is needed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a reason why it keeps tripping the breaker

Are you turning on anything when it trips the breaker in the RV when it is plugged in and is there several components tied into the breaker that you are plugging into at your house?This will cause the breaker to trip.You usually only want to plug in the cord to charge the batter(ies) and not operate any electronics except some lights as this will over load the house breaker and trip it.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I operate anything like the air-conditioners is that what I use the generator for? I've never operated or owned an RV before

If you want to operate the ac on shore power (which is what it is called when your plugged in) you would need to plug into a 30 amp RV outlet as your house breaker usually isnt designed to run the ac.The other option is when the generator is running and operating properly then you could run the ac units.I have an RV myself and it trips my house breaker when plugged in if I try and run the ac but when plugged into a facility like a camp site with power or KOA etc, it will work plugged into their outlets as they are designed to handle the load.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do my A/C units and outlets not work off my generator when running?