Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My electricity doesn't come on with generator it works fine

Customer Question

My electricity doesn't come on with generator it works fine when plugged in though
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

GO to the generator and make sure the breaker is not tripped, most all generators will have one or two breakers on them, some generators you need to remove the side panel to get at the breaker, if you can not find it please get me make and model of generator.

IF the breaker is not the issue please let me know if you have to physically plug a cord into an outlet or it is automatic, you start the gen and power is available. Some generators will have a cord you have to plug into an outlet that is next to the generator and others it is automatic...

Thanks, Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the cover off and all I found was a 5amp fuse... That is good but took me 20 mins to get it back in. I have a Onan Microlite 2800 Genset. any Ideas where the breaker would be?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Click HERE and you can see the circuit breaker on page 3 it is a 25 amp breaker, next to the the 5 amp fuse, and start stop switch if you do not see that I am going to need the model number of the generator. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sorry click HERE

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Link is not going through...

Try and copy and paste the link below into your browser....

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/981-0136%20Onan%20KV%20(spec%20C-D)%20MicroLite%202800%20series%20RV%20Genset%20Operator's%20Manual%20(06-1993).pdf

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

See picture below, should be 25 amp breaker..... IF you can not find that please get me the full model number...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
finally found the breaker... I switched it both ways and didn't work... I have to leave in a few minutes but will be back in a couple hours... Thanks... Learning more about this genset as we go...
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

That is fine, i enjoy trying to explain things but it can be a challenge.... We can go back and forth as much as needed, so no time limit.

What I need to know next is if there is a black cord coming off the generator that you have to plug into an outlet that is next to the generator. Some RV'S you physically have to plug a cord into an outlet to allow the AC power through. On some it is automatic you start the generator and power is available, it can takes up to 1 min before you see the power inside, the kind that you do not plug into an outlet will have a transfer switch and I can get into that if needed....

Robert

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a plastic cord coming out the top drivers side of the Genset. The only way to see where it hooks to the Genset is to drop it down and I am not setup to do that. This may have to wait until we are back from our trip.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Understand, let me see if I can point you in the right direction so you know what to look for.

I looked in your owners manual and it did not say if you have to plug a cord into an outlet next to the generator. IF that is the case you will have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) it will detect the incoming AC power source and switch back and forth between shore power and generator power. When they fail you will go NO AC power on one source, sometimes it can happen on shore power or generator power. IF you have AC voltage going into the ATS and nothing coming out it has failed and would need to be replaced. IF you have NO voltage at the ATS then it is an internal issue with the generator.

Location will vary on the ATS, it can be next to the shore cord or it can be inside behind the breaker panel etc.,. Both the shore cord and generator cord will go to the ATS.... ..

IF you have a cord with prongs on it coming out of the generator then it plugs into an outlet and allows the power inside.

IF you still need more help please feel free to contact me, I am around daily but will be gone next week.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert