Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I just bought a 1998 tent camper. When I hooked it up, the

Customer Question

I just bought a 1998 coleman tent camper. When I hooked it up, the people selling it to me told me the lights were working. I took it home, disconnected it and then reconnected a couple days later for the maiden voyage. But none of the brake lights or blinkers worked. Since we were about to leave, I ran to the auto store and bought magnetic lights. Those work fine. My truck's electrical system is fine. I've pulled many different trailers and had no trouble with lights or blinkers (truck is an 05 nissan frontier crew cab).
Further complicating the issue, when I got to the campsite and hooked up the battery (which was not equipped to be fastened to the trailer while traveling), the running lights came on. When I looked the trailer over, it was connected to 110 power supply. All the interior lights worked and the running lights were not on.
I've looked over the wiring on the trailer. None of the exposed wiring on the frame shows exposed wires that would short out or corrosion where the grounding wires attached to the frame.
What gives?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Something is either wired up wrong OR you have a short in some of the connections. Start by getting the 12 VDC system working properly. That takes at least one good Deep Cycle 12 VDC battery AND a good converter. That means you can test yours when hooked up to 120 VAC on the shore cord and see if it is putting out at least 13.4 VDC to the battery. I would look for a wiring issue where the tow cord hooks up to the unit OR a problem in the plug on that cord. Those would be the most likely places to find a wiring short or error. Let me know when you respond if this has a standard 7 way cord and plug or something else and we can sort that out as well. All follow ups are included in our fee. I will make a phone chat offer for you as well as some customers prefer this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a standard 7 way cord and plug. There is no visible problem or exposed wire at the 7 way. I'm at work now. I'll check the voltage going to the battery when I get home tonight and see what the reading is. I'll let you know and we can go from there. I'm in Alaska, so time difference and work schedules might drag this out. If you are on the east coast, it will be very late by the time I get the voltage read.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am in California so not a problem............

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you got this resolved or do you still need some additional input from me here?