Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a brisk air rv roof top air conditioner and i would

Customer Question

i have a brisk air rv roof top air conditioner and i would like to know if i can run it while plugged in to a regular house outlet. the model # ***** ***** and the btu is 13500
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Showing the compressor will draw about 12 amps, plugged into a 15 amp household outlet with an extension cord may cause problems. It is not just the reduced amps but how it is being delivered, if you were using extension cords then you would have line loss, you might be able to get away with it running a short heavy duty cord but you have to remember when you are plugged in other items are drawing amps such as the converter, so that alone puts you at or over the limit.... I have seen owners do it but also seen issues when the circuit is overloaded, I would advise not to do it.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it cost me a new air conditioner if it blew something?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can blow a capacitor that is normal what happens when you try and run it on household outlet. You would know right away if it is not going to work, when the compressor kicks on if it is to much the lights will dim, that is a red flag.... I would advise not to run it or have a 30 amp service installed...

Hope this helps some.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert