Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Batteries aren't charging on a 2006 forest river Lexington.

Customer Question

Batteries aren't charging on a 2006 forest river Lexington. Everything works fine if I connect a battery charger to the batteries
JA: How many miles are on the car? Will the battery hold a charge?
Customer: It's an rv and the engine battery is fine. It's the rv batteries that aren't charging
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing other than charging the batteries with my portable charger
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: The problem first started when I plugged in at a campsite and it smelled like something overheated inside the rv. Since then the batteries in the rv aren't charging when I'm plugged in, however they do charge when the engine is running
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the AC voltage and should charge the battery, if you smelt something overheated good chance the converter failed, it is directly responsible for charging. The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. On the stand alone style they can be located just about anywhere, under the fridge, stove, behind the breaker panel or under the bed. IF you have a volt meter and can send me the make and model of the converter I might be able to assist you some more. Follow ups are included.....

Hope this helps... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a power inverter located under the front passenger seat. I'm currently connecting a portable battery charger to the 12 volt side of that inverter to charge the batteries. Is there anything between that inverter and the breaker panel that might have gone bad, or do you think it's the inverter itself?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Are you sure it is an inverter? An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are unplugged, a power converter will not do that, however they both charge the battery....

IF you have a converter go to the battery and look for a breaker, below is a picture, sometimes they will put one on the charge line to the battery, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and could be mounted on the frame or inside a battery control box. You also might have more then one, to test you would want the same voltage on each post to chassis ground. IF one side has low voltage and the other side high voltage it is the problem. IF you can get me the make and model of the inverter or converter you are seeing it should help. Also some RV's use a combo a small inverter which does not charge the battery but supplies AC voltage to a few outlets when you are unpluged and a power converter.... Robert

Breaker.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

HI I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help on this please let me know.....

Robert