RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2008 Fleetwood bounder with a isb 6.7L cm2150. When

Customer Question
climbing steep mountains, the engine...
I have a 2008 Fleetwood bounder with a isb 6.7L cm2150. When climbing steep mountains, the engine light comes on, after I top hill and resume speed light goes off. Sometimes it comes on while decelerating at lower speeds then goes off. Just turned key on to ck for codes showed none. Had same problem last summer in mountains, Cummings dealer cleared codes, did a regen, said egr might be bad, could not be sure. The motor has 27000 miles, new fuel filters and air filter. Several times on this trip when first taking off from stop had no power, acelerater on floor finally it picked up to normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/13/2016
RV Mechanic: Joe, RV Technician replied 1 year ago
Joe
Joe, RV Technician

Hello, my name is Joe

If the engine light came on, then there should have been some fault codes and data stored in the ecm.

Not all fault codes will show up in the instrument cluster. The Cummins software is the only way to see all fault code data.

Could you reply with a list of fault codes that the Cummins dealer had cleared?

Joe

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did not list fault code, just failed egr valve, possible failed vgt actuator/ turbo. They then cleared faults, then took test drive on level ground, no mountains, no faults after drive. The did regen, updated ecm, dpf restriction in spec.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get my answer to you text about faults
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not heard from joe a second time about my problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still have not heard back from joe, would like an answer please from someone.

I apologize for the late response, there is a glitch in the notification system.

There are many possible fault codes associated with the egr and turbo actuator.

Fault 1896 is a fairly common egr valve fault with the CM2150 , but it normally activates at initial engine start-up.

I could speculate that the engine coolant temperature may be climbing into the warning range, but this too should set an information fault code in the ecm.

All I can suggest would be to run the coach again until the alarm event repeats. Then at a Cummins service center, demand that they provide a printout of ALL fault codes.

If you can reply back to me with the exact fault codes, we should be able to get a good idea of whats happening.

Joe

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, RV Technician