RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Dometic RM 3762 refridgerator has clear symptoms First if…

My Dometic RM 3762...

My Dometic RM 3762 refridgerator has clear symptoms First if the Motorhome is connected 110v and the refridgerator is in "auto" the system will cool continuously and not shut off. Overnight it will cool to 5 deg F. Seconded If I switch between "auto" and "LP" modes the temperature display reading will jump 6 to 10 degrees. Third I can turn the refridgerator on, put it in "LP" mode and it will fire and cool down to the set point (40 deg) and will not restart. It the displays error code "E1".

Mechanic's Assistant: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?

The refridgerator is a 2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Cleaned burner, replaced main control board, replaced circuit board with the buttons on it, verified thermistor resistance

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

What is the input DC voltage coming in from your RV? When you test for this (with a multimeter) do it first for DC voltage and set you meter on AC and take another reading which would give us what is called "AC ripple" here (if any) and then tell me if you have any fluorescent lights in the RV. Please include the Product Number off the data tag and the Serial Number for this fridge. All follow ups are included in our fee.

E1 is an LP hardware fault here. It can be in the harness between the lower and upper boards and that is where I would look. The problem is that you can't access all of that with the fridge in place, so exhaust the others first. It might be a defect in the harness or one of the plugs on the harness as to the way it was attached. From your description and based on what already was replaced, I suspect this is going to be the place that the problem is going to be found, if no other electrical issues show up.

I have 12.8 V DC and .004 V AC. The Refridgerator is a Dometic RM 3762, Product number 921 14-42-40, serial number 91805095I have the schematics and parts explosions from Dometic as well as the owners manual

Did you see my response from a few minutes ago? The problem will be in the harness between the upper and lower board I suspect.

I see your message now. I've put lots of time into this already so if I have to pull it out to check the harness that no big deal. I'll check the plug ends first. I haven't replaced the circuit board that has the display in it ($100). Does that seem like it could be the problem also?

Doubtful...........based on the information that Dometic provided me in the Service Manual and what you have already told me. The harness isn't that expensive. That part number is(###) ###-#### Please let me know how this turns out and your time to enter a rating on my assistance to you relating to this question would be appreciated as that is the only way I get credit for helping.

Randall. I am planning to check out your suggestion tomorrow. Then follow up with questions if needed then rate

10-4

I've gotten the fridge out. Any idea how to go about replacing the harness. The back panel doesn't appear to be removable

The harness runs up the back and along the top. It is not inside.

The back insulated panel appears to have put on before the coils an pipe runs were made. How do I get in there? Cut a hole in it? Does the freezer box come out of the front and provide access to the harness?

You don't have to get into that. The harness runs up the back along the left side. Gray wiring cover and up over the top to the front. They usually use some aluminum tape on top to hold it in place.

It comes right out of the control board on the rear of the fridge.

The harness comes from the control board then through a plastic grommet in this insulated back panel. I can't follow it any farther as it is behind this panel. Also the top of the unit clean (no wires or pipes) and has what appears to be a continuation of the insulated panel. Would pictures help?

Yes..........and I have a 3962 in my shop so I can take a look at it later this morning when I go there. If this is internal, it would be the first I have seen done that way.

Thanks Randall. Just a bit more on what I see. It appears the harness was installed first, then the insulation panel and then a metal frame that holds the piping. I don't know for sure but that's my guess

Let me check mine and I will get back to you later..........

Great. No hurry

Thanks.......

Randall did you get a chance to check the fridge in your shop?

Mine is on the inside as well. Let me call Dometic and see what they say.

Dometic says to run the new one up the back and over the top like the old models OR put the ends on again. No real good access to the internal version. Someone sure goofed up on this design!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification