RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 97 f53 with a 460. I just replaced the fuel pump

Customer Question
and cleaned out the tank...
I have a 97 f53 with a 460. I just replaced the fuel pump and cleaned out the tank. With new gas and fuel pressure regulator valve and new filter. It ran great for 1 mile and falls on its face when I push on the gas. Need help please. John
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
6/7/2016
RV Mechanic: Roy Belding, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, RV Mechanic

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

from your description, it sounds like the dirt and debris from the tank was still in the lines and injectors. you may need to replace the injectors. there is no additive that will rid the injectors of the debris.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the answer Roy the truck idles so smooth you cannot say glass of water ripple on the dash it just stumbles under acceleration as it is starving for fuel

yep, it may enough fuel for idle but beyond that they cannot meet the needs of the amount of fuel required

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have $800 worth injectors will be here in the morning take me about an hour to put them in and we'll see what happens I'll get back to you tomorrow

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just installed 8 injectors still doing the same thing. Any other suggestions?

not without being there and looking at it myself. I will opt out and re list for you

Roy

RV Mechanic: Ron, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Ron, RV Mechanic

Hello different Expert here,

Before you replace any more parts, can you connect a fuel pressure gauge to the service port and monitor the actual fuel pressure while the problem is occurring and post back with the results?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
34 psi at startup up to 40 when I first accelerate and then under hard acceleration down to 10 with the occasional backfire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
today I put in a new Ford fuel pump also

Okay there is nothing thats going to cause the pressure to drop providing the fuel filter is clear then a defective fuel pump. The backfire is caused by the drop in pressure, was the fuel filter rechecked?

Was the pick up screen on the the old pump clear?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just put on another new one today also

Was the fuel filter clear?

There is nothing that going to cause this kind of pressure drop beside a failed pump or a restriction in the system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not to bad I did pump out all the old Fuel and clean out the tank it is spotless on the inside now and it wasn't too bad to begin with

Okay well if you are sure you have a clean tank and a clean filter as well as a good working pump and no restriction in the line then the pressure should not drop under load. Have you checked to see if by chance someone may have added another filter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the 1 filter

Okay well if you are sure there are no restrictions and the tank is venting and your new pump is okay then the pressure should hold to at least 32 PSI and the engine should not fall on it face.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree but there's gotta be something causing it I'm going to go check a few things thanks for your help I'll get back to you in a little bit

Just for the hell of it, leave the gas cap off and see if the pressure still drops.

That will tell you if your dealing with a venting issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks I will give it a try

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Im here if you need me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just checked the entire fuel line every inch of it that is one fuel filter which I just replaced again with an extra one I had there's no damage the fuel line and it still doing the same exact thing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been broke down in this parking lot 6 days and I've spent about $1,300 is there anything else you can think of that might help

Providing there are no restrictions in the fuel system and its venting properly and your new fuel pump is not defective then the only other thing I can think of would be to check the running voltage at the fuel pump to make sure you have battery voltage at the pump as well as a good ground.

Ron, RV Mechanic