RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

WE have a brand new Host camper with a Dometic DM2852

Customer Question
refrigerator. The small fan...
WE have a brand new Host camper with a Dometic DM2852 refrigerator. The small fan the attempts to cool the condenser fins in the back of the refrigerator (accessed from outside the camper and through the upper door) does not seem to provide enough cooling air. As a result, our refrigerator seldom dips below 40 degrees. We live in a warmer climate (average temps in the summer = 90+ degrees.
I purchased 2, 45 CFM, fans that each draw 0.2amps with the anticipation of providing almost 3 times the airflow over the cooling fins.
My questions are:
1. can I use the existing red and black wires for power. I would daisy chain the new motors and make a single connection to the existing wiring if that is OK
2. Is there any other "fix" you can think of? The thermostat seems to perform inside spec.
Ralph Penton
Snohomish, WA
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
6/7/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert.....

I would say it would be fine to use the existing red and black, it should have a 3 amp fuse in the circuit so you will know right away if the fuse blows, if the fuse blows then I would run a dedicated power and ground with a switch so you can turn it on and off as needed. My only other suggestion would be to unplug the thermistor from the P-2 connector and see if the fridge defaults to full cooling, if the fridge gets very cold you might have a thermistor issue. If the fans are only drawing 0.2 amps it should not be an issue... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Hi... I see you have not selected a rating, if you need more help please let me know.... Robert