Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My camper trailer have ref problem and only work with gas

Customer Question

HI, my camper trailer have ref problem and only work with gas but not electric when I plug the electric and the ref isn't working.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model of your fridge? The data tag should be on the inside of the box on the wall. Get me that and I can direct you in some things to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok brb
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will watch for your post.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model HE0601 atwood
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The biggest problem with these seems to be burning out the heating element. If you have a small digital multimeter we can test that and see. There is also an AC fuse on the control board. That can be tested as well. A meter is about $20 or so and easy to use. I can assist you with this. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did checked the fuse on the board and i don't have a meter, where can I buy that..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heating element can be replace?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Most hardware stores have meters.........Sears sells one for about $15 or so and works well for this. The heating element can be replaced. It just slips into the tube on the flue and the wires push onto the board. We can test this to be sure that is the problem. I am attaching the manual for you in case you don't have it. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/refrigerators/ENGLISH_Refrigerator_Manual_8.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that called meters for electric ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go to Sears now and buy them.. and where can I check with that meter?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Multimeter or VOM meter. And that part number if you need one is #14044. Once you get the meter get back to me and I can tell you how to test the element. Not hard. I will also make a phone chat offer for you if you think that would be easier and faster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish I could do on phone as I am deaf and maybe can use relay service.. Let me go store and will be back within less 45 min
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will watch for your post..........and I can explain this in this format.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't have it but 7 function multimeter is that ok?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes........you just need to be able to do an ohms reading and check the AC voltage OUT of the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now what next
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Take the cover off the control board and find the leads for the heating element. Those are on pins J12 and J13 and you can trace them right over to the element on the flue. Unlug the fridge BEFORE you remove them so you don't get a shock. Pull the leads off and then plug it back in again. Then take an AC volts reading at those pins with the leads removed. Set the meter on AC volts on the 200 scale. Put a probe on each pin and read the voltage. It should be about 120 VAC give or take a few. Let me know what you read and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want the ref off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only see vdc vac or bat or ohms which one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also plug 10 a or com or Vma
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which switch and plug on the bottom.. see multimeter
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Move the black lead over to the center hole "Common" and the red lead over to the far right one surrounded in red. Set the meter on AC volts on the 200 scale. You are on amps now. Then take the reading.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is four 200 and which one, on VDC or VAC or ADC or OHMS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that right place power board? with fuse in it..
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

VAC which stands for Volts Alernating Current. Yes......find the leads for the heating element. They go right over to the flue where it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many wire so where is exact is heating element?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

In the flue........above the burner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

No........higher up on that same flue. Two wires coming off it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the number is ***** 0
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you reading the voltage at the two pins on the board?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Those are J12 and J13.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Those are right next to the black and white 120 VAC leads coming into the board.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Follow them over to the flue to the heating element. Then you know you have the correct leads. Both the same color.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
27.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If that is the AC volts reading then the board is suspect, but I think I would have someone check this for you. Anyone there that might be able to assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, do u know anyone that in area by State park Letchworth that able to come to fix it? If not then I will have to haul camper to rv service
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Check and see if there is a good mobile tech that can come out to your location. Many RV parks and shops can recommend one for you.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you need additional input from me here?