Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Oh my gosh please help me I think I've up something on my RV

Customer Question

Oh my gosh please help me I think I've blown up something on my RV as the power has died to everything radio, step, lights everything!
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update. Some things have started working but when I switch the pump on it seems to blow the step switch!
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Are you talking about the water pump? When the water pump is running and you try to use the step is that when it is blowing?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert can you call me please? This would be much easier to explain over the phone. *********** Cheers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a battery issue and before we try a phone chat I would have those checked and rule that out as a proximate cause. If yours are over 3 years old there is a good chance they are "toast" as the saying goes. Most places that sell batteries can test them for you or you may want to have a good mobile tech come over to your location and assist you with this. If you do take them out to be tested, be sure you mark all the cables and take a few photos so you get them hooked back up correctly. Easy to get that wrong if you don't. I think this will resolve this for you. IF not, we can further into the diagnosis. Just get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is an electrician and has battery testers. The battery is perfect. He was attempting to relocate the step switch but forget to disconnect the battery first! Then everything stopped working. We now believe it is a solenoid or fuse. Is this right?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps. There may be a shortstop breaker that has tripped. They are usually near the batteries or under the hood in the Battery Control Center. Push the black button in to reset it. If he knows electricity, he should be able to track this down. But, FYI............even brand new batteries have a pretty high failure rate. I am attaching a link to a photo of what he is looking for. http://www.surplus-electronics-sales.com/images/medium/122-1012%20Short%20Stop%2028V%2030A%20CB%20sm_MED.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've not been able to find it :(
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It may be in the step well if that is where the house batteries are .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have a look tomorrow and be in touch. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome! Get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this and please take some time to enter a rating on my assistance to you relating to this question as that is the only way I get credit for helping. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do most definitely! Thanks again will be in touch tomorrow
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! I found it! There is no reset switch though. It is a pollak circuit breaker.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Some are auto reset breakers. You can check for power going through it with your meter. OR jump over it to test that this is the problem. IF power is restored then you know it is bad. They have an amp rating on them so check that if you need to replace it.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there well we have no idea! We found the part and bypassed it and still nothing! Totally at a loss!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did he look in the fuse panel under the hood? Sometimes, the step fuse will be in there. Worst case......have him wire in a new hot lead with an inline fuse from the battery. That would at least make this operable.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I noticed that you haven't gotten back to me relating to your question and I am wondering if you saw my earlier response to you a few days ago? Were you able to get this issue resolved or do you still need some input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there sorry, I have been without internet for a couple of days but now we are going to be away until next week when we can investigate further. Thank you for all your help so far and I will be in touch next week x
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

O.K.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just to confirm that when we are hooked up to mains electric everything works....
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

So if the step works when you are hooked up to mains, then the problem is that the battery is either bad (even new ones can fail and do) OR it isn't being charged and is too low on voltage to operate the step when you aren't on mains. Did he check the charging voltage AT the battery when you are hooked up? It should be about 13.6 VDC or close to that.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you may have missed my response to your question a few days ago? If you still need some assistance and input from me here, please get back to me. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi There
As I said we have been away and the RV is in its storage yard. We will be unable to check anything further until the weekend at the earliest due to work commitments but will be sure to get back to you. Thank you for all your help so far!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

O.K..........not a problem. I will be around all weekend.