Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My 3 button dometic thermostat flashes e 5 how can it be

Customer Question

my 3 button dometic thermostat flashes e 5 how can it be reset or do i need to take to service? camper was fine when i parked it for winter. now i cant get ac to come on. also hot water heater wont heat water on electric or gas . when i first turned it on using gas the glass flame was on about 10 minutes but was a yellow color not blue and had a smoky hot smell then went off. now nothing gas or electric
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Is this thermostat a Single Z​one thermostat? An E5 error is either an open circuit or out of range freeze sensor on the A/C. If this isn't a Single Zone stat let me know. On the water heater you either need to have the LP pressure adjusted at the tank regulator OR you have some debris like a spider web in the burner tube. Please get back to me if you need more input from me on either of these issues as all follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
single zone 3 button type Note: my furnace is working on heat setting using gas tank. would i still need to adjust lp tank reulator? why wold electric setting not work?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Either the pressure is low or you have debris in the burner...........either one can cause sooting up and the condition you described. The AC mode may be a bad switch, the breaker may be tripped or some loose of chewed wiring or a burned out element.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more note i dont here the spark igniter SPARKING. Is it because i have no gas coming out? can i adjust regulator myself? should i take trailer to service department for e5 code?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
If you have no spark then it can't ignite. I thought it was smoking? That can be a bad thermal fuse or board or dirty connections. You might want to call in a mobile tech for some assistance. What is the make and model of your water heater and I can get you a manual which may help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was smoking the gas flame was yellow in color and was on about 10 min. smelled like soot . i like idea of mobile tech. i do have a manual.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Be sure you find out the approximate cost first and explain the problems in detail including the make and model of your equipment so they know what to bring.