Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2010 Octane Trailer and located a IOTA transfer switch,

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Octane Trailer and located a IOTA transfer switch, i think it may be a part of the recall. Curious to know if it might have anything to do with no power once i disconnect from the house power supply? Everything works when plugged into the house. If not any idea what it might be. I've checked all of the fuses including the 30 amp right after the batteries and they all appear to be okay. the batteries are fully charged and posts are clean.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
no AC power when running the generator when NOT on shore cord? Did you check the breakers on the genset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
generator won't start.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
That won't have anything to do with the transfer switch. Does it turn over or not? How long has it been sitting? Make and model of the genset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Generator won't turn over. Has been sitting over the winter, approx 7 months. Primed it but won't turn over. Make and model of the Genset is :Cummins Model 4KYFA-6747KSo we seem to have two issues here. No battery power when not on shore cord and the generator also doesn't work
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Start by having the batteries load tested. They may have frozen and are bad. Clean all the terminals if they have any corrosion and check the ground lead to the chassis. Once you rule out the batteries we can move to testing the converter. If you didn't have any fuel conditioner in the gas, you may have to deal with that as today's fuel goes bad quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the battery level meter inside the trailer says the batteries are fully charged...is this misleading. Batteries were bought brand new last season.No conditioner put into the genset over the winter (newbies here, still learning....) so is it easy to clear out the old fuel from that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now we want to focus on getting battery power, we can do without the generator for now.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Then have them load tested and see if they are any good. Most places that sell batteries can do this. Be sure and mark the cables or take a photo so you get them back the same way again.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?