RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 1995 Fleetwood bounder it has a GC6AA-8 water

Customer Question
heater that is gas and...
I have a 1995 Fleetwood bounder it has a GC6AA-8 water heater that is gas and elec. It says that it is 110vac but I can not get that I want to know where does it get it's power from
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
5/6/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
There is usually a switch inside in the kitchen area that looks like a wall switch OR there sometimes is just one on the rear of the water heater that you flip on. Black and small just above the water heater element. See the attached link to the Atwood W/H manual. Print that out so you have it as there is a lot of great information in there. See the exploded view and wiring diagrams. Please get back to me if you don't find it and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf
You may have had an upgrade done and there may be a wall switch with BOTH the LP and AC mode switches on there with symbols for which is which. That would usually be found where the other control switches are located.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already know about them and I am not getting power on the wire on the switch where it come for on the rv
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where does it come from
From the breaker in your load center and usually marked "Water Heater" which may have been tripped and that is usually due to the element burning out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to tell you that I know a bunch about working on cars and I have already checked out the obvious stuff there is no breaker marked water heater there's like eight miny breakers in the box they all have power running Out but none is Marked water heater all the wires on the switch our marked up where they go to water heater the one that should have power is Mark MS Iso but I don't know what that means I know it's a marking to were it goes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry they are 6 mine breakers in the box
These would be 120 VAC breakers like in your home and not 12 VDC breakers as you described.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know but what you read about the water heater it says it's 110 V AC not 12v
It is both.........the controls work on 12 VDC, but the heating element is 120 VAC and that has to be on a 120 VAC circuit breaker rated at 15 amps and those are in the load center where the breakers for all your plugs and A/C are located and is almost always labled "W/H" or "Water Heater" and it may be off or tripped.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the breakers are on and all the breakers I have tested they have power coming out of them that wire does not go up in the breaker box at all I don't go in behind the breaker box because I pulled all that out so I could look back it's above the fridge that means the wires have got to junction somewhere that's what I was looking for is where
The next step would be to get ahold of Fleetwood Customer Serivce and give them your FIN number and get a complete set of wiring diagams for this coach. I don't think they put the water heater on a circuit with something else, but it is possible and the they may have used a J-box someplace and the diagrams would show that. The number is(###) ###-#### Get back to me when you get those if you still need help tracking this down.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me?
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification