Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

I have a Fleetwood Pulse. Where do I find the hot water bypass

Customer Question

I have a Fleetwood Pulse. Where do I find the hot water bypass valve so I can summerize the RV?
Thanks
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 1 year ago.
Hi, go inside the coach to the back of the waterheater, there you will see the plumbing of the waterheater, you will see a pipe that runs from the bottom fitting to the top fitting, there will be a valve there that must be turned to apply water to the water heater, in the winterized position the water bypasses it. take a look and get back to me, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, in the closet, there is a panel with 4 screws. I undid the screws but the panel is in there tight and I am afraid I will break it if I jam a screwdriver in the edge. Am I attempting to look in the correct place?
thanks for responding, if that panel is behind the waterheater, then I would say yes, if its tight, take your time and ease the panel off, little on one side, then the other ect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try. My husband used to do this, but I am alone now. I will keep this window open.
thanks, ***** ***** a try, and get back to me, I will be here when you are ready or shortly thereafter....Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the panel off. What I see is the heater with sytrofoam around it. There are 2 white plastic hoses One at bottom and one at the top. I still don't see anything that could be a valve.
When I look at the water lines through an exterior panel, there is a valvecock on a large white plastic pipe almost as soon as it leaves the fresh water tank. I think that one is just for draining the fresh water tank though.
I am just not seeing any sort of diversion device.
thanks, question. when you turn on hot water side at faucets, does water come out? Also go outside and open the water heater door. Looking towards the bottom do you see a plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I already took out the white plug and the water heater is empty. I was empty all winter.
what happens when you apply pressure to the water system? with pump or city water pressure (external hose)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have antifreeze in the pipes and don't want it in the hot water tank.
That is why I need to learn where the bypass valve is so I can check its direction
I don't want to introduce water into the system yet.
From your description, you dont have a bypass, at this point just flush out the system by running water thru it, and as its clean water, let the grey water valve open, and flush all of the antifreeze out. It is non toxic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is no bypass, I would have expected the hot water tank to have antifreeze in it. Because my husband would have put antifreeze into the line somewhere.
My suggestion is to pressurize the system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks.
and thank you, ***** ***** so, and let me know how you progress. Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were correct. I am very surprised to see that we didn't have a bypass valve! When I put water in the tank, the hot water tank filled up too. So I have rinsed it all out. Who knew??!! Thanks.
Your welcome, glad you worked it out. Please take this time to rate me as this is how I receive credit for our work together.Thanks Michael