Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a 98 National RV which has a RV Custom Products Battery

Customer Question

We have a 98 National RV which has a RV Custom Products Battery Distribution Center. Recently our leveling jacks and generator both quit working at the same time. We found that those 2 functions share a post on the distribution panel. We disconnected the leads from the panel and hooked directly to another battery. The generator fired right up and the jacks were trying to work sluggishly. Do we need a new panel? There is a 150 amp breaker behind that post. It didn't seem to be tripped. But there is a dimly lit red light on the front of the panel directly under the post. Not sure if that means anything. Any help would be appreciated before we start buying parts.
JA: The mechanics can certainly shed some "light" on this -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes we are as we have already taken it to a local RV repair place who didn't even seem to look at this area before returning it to us unfixed.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have found the replacement battery control center which is identical to ours. We feel confident that the problem lies somewhere in this panel or the breaker due to the fact that direct power to the leads from this point made both the generator and jacks function again. Without that, neither of them were doing anything at all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Can you attach a photo of the part in question to your post and I can make some recommendations on testing for you. You would need a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so. Easy to use and I can direct you in the testing. All follow ups are included in our fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The photo I would send you of ours would be hard to see much because we haven't taken in out yet. Here is a link to the control center part we have. The post at the lower right hand corner of the panel is the one in question.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
That relay may be bad........it sounds like you have done some work in that regard. I would use a meter to check it under load both for input and output. See what the DC volts is. Depending on how they attached that to the board, you might be able to replace just that. Let me know what the readings are and we can go from there. IF you go to take that board assy out be sure you disconnect the batteries first at the ground lead!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Randall. Are you talking about the battery boost/charge combine relay? There seems to be power from the feed to that relay, but doesn't register anything on the 2 front posts. It looks like it is a relatively easy part to replace.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
No........that breaker on the lower right hand corner. Isn't that the one you bypassed?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this or do you still need some additional input from me here?