Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Brand new house battery is not working. Checked all

Customer Question

Brand new house battery is not working. Checked all connections and the generator starts. I have power with the generator or when plugged in. No power from house battery.
The battery disconnect switch light turns on with shore and gen power. The switch does not activate the house battery. I found the transfer switch, but there is no actual switch , it's a box full of wires. Is there a switch that could have been tripped when I replaced the battery? Fuses and circuit breakers are all good.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? That would be very useful here to track down the problem. And I am wondering if you have a shortstop breaker in the line between the converter (if you have one) and the battery. It might be a bad battery disconnect switch even though it lights up. You can check this with a meter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

IF you don't have a meter you can jump over the posts on the disconnect solenoid to see if that is the issue. Just take the lead off one side and put in over on the other post. These will be the two larger diameter wires. IF you have power then you know the solenoid isn't working. Let me know what happens and we can go from there.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry it is taken me a while to respond to you. I did not have time or a multimeter handy. I am available now if you are able to assist me.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am here all day...........

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Randall. I have a multimeter and I could still use your assistance if you are available.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I will be in the morning..........and I am in California. Did you jump across the disconnect solenoid to see if that would restore the power?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me?