RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2002 34' Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel. The thermosta…

We have a 2002 34'...
We have a 2002 34' Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel. The thermostat suddenly would not come on for the heater/AC. We have 110 volt to main breaker box and AC and have 12 volt to thermostat and AC. Thermostat will not display, so no heat or air. As best we can tell, the DuoTherm controller number is ***** and appears to be compatible for 579, 590, 591, 515, 600, 650, 520....the space between the E and 70265 is too worn to read. Any suggestions? The thermostat is brand new. Do we need a new controller or is it something more simple? Thank you.
4/28/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Can you attach a photo of that to your post? That part number doesn't seem to match up with any that I know of.
Not till tomorrow cause hubby is gone and shroud will need to be reopened, but will do it then.
O.K............that works. I will watch for your post. Once I know what you have I can make some recommendations for testing and parts numbers if you need those. Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer.
Yes, I have viewed your response and I had said I'd send photos today but it is raining and Jesse can't get onto the roof of the 5th wheel to take the shroud off the AC then take photos. I will do it as soon as he can safely get onto top of trailer. HOW do I attach photos to this site....or would you send me your email and I can directly attach the photos to that and send to you? Oh, I just saw the 'add files' below....is that where I add the photos? It will be raining all day here so don't foresee getting the photos until tomorrow afternoon if the sun shines. Thanks. *****
Use the paperclip icon..........and I will watch for them. No hurry, as I am here most every day checking in from time to time.
OK. Have a nice weekend. Will do the photos as soon as we safely can.
Thanks! Are you as well............it is supposed to be in the high 70's and clear up here in Northern California this weekend.
OK, rain finally stopped. Jesse took 3 photos and I downloaded them. He's already in bed but if he was able to get a better part number and wrote it down, I'll attach it tomorrow (Monday) morning. The only way I knew to add the photos was to add as a file. I added three photos. I hope they make it to you. If they do not, please send me your personal email and I will send them that way. Thanks. *****
Not sure I can open those.........but, you can e-mail them to me at***@******.***
What is the thermostat you have for this? I think it probably isn't compatible with that control box.
It is the same one that came factory installed, as far as my husband and I know (we bought the trailer new). We had a tree go through the rear roof in 2008 and Newmar authorized service provider installed this one when they were doing all the repairs then. DuoTherm(###) ###-####001 has been on this trailer since 2008 and has never given any problem at all. We ordered a new DuoTherm thermostat just like it and that is what is in the trailer now that Jesse installed. One thing that did happen in Louisiana this past fall, but we did not think it affected the AC....we hooked up in RV park and had power surge...trailer bounced, etc. Had surge protectors on everything but only the microwave appeared fried. When the RV electrician replaced the converter I had him install an inline surge protector before the converter. The problem turned out to the the pole had been wired wrong and the neutral wire was never connected. Once the converter was replaced, we used the AC (temp was about 100° there for October, November and into December, then we switched to heat after Christmas. Just before New Year (a day or so before the 31s of Dec) we had no thermostat working. We used electric heater until we got home in January. Jesse tried several times to get it to work and he did have hot wires to thermostat and AC on roof. No fuses or breakers thrown. He thought it was thermostat and that is when we ordered and installed the new DuoTherm thermostat. After that didn't work, he went back up on the roof and checked electricity again. Nothing he could see (he is a journeyman carpenter and is pretty adept at troubleshooting problems with the trailer). Any way, the history is just some lagniappe that I don't know if it helps or hurts in your troubleshooting. Since everything worked for 3 months after the surge we didn't think the two were related. We will be out of town all day tomorrow and won't be home until about 7 tomorrow night...in case you email us again. Thanks and have a nice evening. P.S. If you want to call and talk with Jesse, we are in Arkansas (central time zone) and the house phone is(###) ###-#### ***** 7 pm our time tomorrow. Janie Williams
I will make a phone chat option for you. And check the new thermostat against the old one with the cover removed and see if the part number is ***** same. They have several that look the same, but aren't and aren't compatible. Some are NLA and you have to upgrade to a newer digital thermostat kit.
Unless the control box on the AC was changed in 2008 at a Newmar approved repair service in Lexington, SC, we have no idea. But, I do know the THERMOSTAT was changed out in 2008 when that dealer service did the repairs. I will go back tomorrow and review the paperwork I think I have on it. But, until late December that Thermostat and the AC and heat has given us no problems at all. Not sure what is going on. We are wiped out from the trip today. Tomorrow Jesse will pull the new DuoTherm thermostat (#3) and we will compare it to the one he took off (#2). We actually have the thermostat (#1) the Lexington SC shop removed and the raised numbering on the metal electronic board states e/50-981501A and is stamped 010116. It is a DuoTherm by Dometic Comfort Control Thermostat. As I said, I will check the newest DuoTherm we purchased and the one the repair shop installed, and then it can be compared to the one that came from the factory (as described above). Thanks for your patience. Janie Wiliams
On the Comfort Control thermostats, the old 4 button unit is NLA and you can still get the 5 button unit. If this has an analog slide control thermostat you need to check the part number after removing the cover as they all look the same, but aren't. Attach a photo of the new and old thermostats if you can as that might help here.
OK. My husband and I personally checked all three DuoTherm Comfort Control thermostats...all digital, no analog slide. There is no difference on the circuit boards of them. Serial number e/50-981501A is on the factory installed thermostat, e/50-981501C is on the one installed in 2008 at the service center in South Carolina, and e/50-981501C is on the one we just received. Jesse's next step is to make a 'light bulb' tester since a troubleshooting website suggested he not use a store purchased tester (he did try one and it indicated power but the troubleshooting site suggested they may give a false positive for power.. He will make the bulb tester tomorrow and confirm there is actually power to the 120 volt in the controller. I am a paper person but haven't located the paperwork from Tony's RV in SC....but it's been so long ago that I just need to find it. Just curious, what does NLA mean? Thanks. *****
NLA is "No longer available"
Thanks. That is kinda what I thought, just hadn't seen it used before.
Did you check the furnace manually to be sure that isn't the issue and not the thermostat here? Sometimes, we overlook the obvious and miss stuff. What is the make and model of the furance?
Jesse did check the furnace fuse (located under the stove) back in December and it was ok? Anything else he should look for?
Take the furnace leads and jump them and see if the furnace comes on or not. Blue leads at the furnace. Red and white bell wire (usually) at the thermostat or control box at the A/C.
OK. Will do that in the morning.
If the furnace comes on, then the problem is in the thermostat or control box. IF NOT, it is in the furnace.
I just wanted to thank you and let you know Jesse was able to manually jumpstart the unit under the stove area. He was not able to do the same at the electric control box at the AC. We have ordered the replacement electric kit and hopefully that will solve the problem. I've appreciated your dialogue back and forth in trying to help us with the ac/heat problem. Have a great weekend. Janie Williams.
The new one is a digital unit and has both a new thermostat and control box. Guess you found that out. And thanks for hanging in there on this. Some customers give up when we can't resolve it in just a few minutes. Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer and a some positive feedback on my assistance would be appreciated as that is how I get credit for my time here. Be safe!
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification