RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We live in our RV year around. When we turned on the AC it

Customer Question
We live in our RV...
We live in our RV year around. When we turned on the AC it had a odd smell like mildew. I'm I supposed to clean or replace something?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with AC issues. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or something slightly more complicated like a condenser. Any weird smells or rattling noises?
Customer: How do i fix the smell issue?
JA: Ok. WeÂ’ll get you to one of the go-to AC guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: it is not hooked up to a car/truck. We are living in this trailer year around for 1.5 yrs.
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I cleaned the filter that is in the ceiling
in the main area.
JA: Anything else I can tell the RV Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I used Dawn.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
4/18/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is***** would do is get up on the roof and remove the cover. Under the cover you will see the condenser coils I would make sure they are clear and clean, you could be drawing air in from the outside so you want to make sure the condenser and evaporator or clean, You can use a vacuum or soft brush and soapy water to clean. If you use the soapy water throw a towel down inside in-case any water drips down. Click HERE and this will provide you an example of where the condenser and evaporator are located, also a very good article. My guess is the smell is coming from the top side under the unit and after cleaning that all up it should improve. I might run it for a few hours after you get it cleaned up with the windows open to help air everything out. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping..... Robert Also sometimes bees and wasps like to make nests under the cover, I would have some spray on hand.
Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic