Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

A RUN CAPACITOR THERE ARE FOUR PRONGS BUT ONLY TWO WIRES.

Customer Question

I AM REPLACING A RUN CAPACITOR THERE ARE FOUR PRONGS BUT ONLY TWO WIRES. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH TWO TO HOOK TO ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I WANT TO MAKE SURE I HOOK UP THE RUN CAPACITOR CORRECTLY. THAT'S WHAT IVE BEEN TOLD IS WRONG WITH AC UNIT. IT HAS 2 PRONGS ON CAPACITOR BUT ONLY TWO WIRES LEADING TO IT. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH TWO PRONGS ?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES, ALREADY HAVE IT DISMANTLED.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: WAITING ON INFO ON HOW TO HOOK UP CAPACITOR BEFORE I TRY AC
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you notice that some are hooked together at the base? Use two that aren't. What A/C is this in and I can perhaps give you more?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a link for the Dometic A/C manual which is quite good and even if you have a Coleman unit it will explain some good detail for you. See the section on capacitors. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf