Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

2010 bounder house battery bank does'nt run 12 volt system

Customer Question

2010 bounder house battery bank does'nt run 12 volt system without shore power or gen
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
HI my name is***** if you go to the battery disconnect solenoid for the disconnect you will have two large posts, what is the voltage on each side on the large posts? Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13.70
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK That is good next the voltage should be going to the fuse box outside, many of the bounder gas units will have a fuse box and a printed circuit board with fuses and breakers, DO you see that box and if so is there a name on the box with a model number? Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im thinking your asking about the bbc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry BCC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GAS F73-1020
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Yes, what is the make and model of that BBC. Have you checked each breaker in that box, below is a picture, some are thermal and self reset and others have a small tab that pops out when they trip... Sorry just saw the number let me see if I have some info on that.... Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Breaker....
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
That is a RV custom Products box and all your switching will go through the circuit board and breakers inside that box, I used to have some info on troubleshooting let me see if I can dig it up. Check each breaker. You should have voltage on every post on each one, that would be to chassis ground. IF you find one that has voltage on one side and not the other then it is the issue. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the P13 fuses 3 THRU 12 have none on either so i changed the 5 amp auto reset but still no change
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
SO to me it sounds like you have a bad circuit board if you have power on each side of every breaker, not sure what else this is going to be. I am trying to find some info I had but am having trouble location it, been awhile since I worked on one of these. I will keep looking and will let you know either way. Might be tomorrow am.... Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the auto reset 5 amp is now a manual reset due to availibility thats on F19 THAT HAS AMPS A LITTLE LOWER THAN REST OF BOARD 13.58
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
IF the voltage is slightly lower that would be OK, normally you would not want more then a volt loss.... Also you could bypass the breaker and see what happens, to me it sounds like if you have power going into the board and you do not have power on some fuses on the board it could be the problem.. Still trying to find the info I have, as soon as I locate that I will let you know.Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
OK So this is ALL the info I have for RV custom products, I am hoping this helps out, with you replacing the solenoid, converter I really believe the problem is with the board on this..... RV Custom ProductsBattery Control CenterTrouble Shooting GuideGeneralThe Battery Control Center has five functions:1. Disconnects both chassis and coach batteries from their loads.2. Controls Ignition switch loads3. Controls Fog Lights4. Allows paralleling of chassis and coach batteries for auxiliary starting and charging5. Protects various circuits with fuses and Circuit breakersTwo basic applications of the RV-CP exist: gasoline-powered coaches and diesel-powered coaches. The basic difference is that diesel coaches have their auxiliary starting relay mounted external from the disconnects. This is because of the heavier cranking current required for the diesel engines.For each class, several revisions have been made:Gas (Electronic Board)CB-200 rev. A - Initial releaseCB-200 rev. B - Added source power to the disconnect switches from both chassis andcoach batteriesCB-200 rev. C - Added dual voltage dropout of charging relayAdded charging of chassis battery from shore or Generator powerCB-200 rev. D - Improved voltage sensing accuracy plus mechanical changesCB-200 rev. E - misc. changesCB-200 rev. F - Added (moved) Ignition relay to the boardCB-115 rev. A - Mechanical changes to make board smaller and removed P1CB-115 rev. B - Does not existCB-115 rev. C - Revised fuse use description (F12, F14, F21)CB-115 rev. D - Add circuitry to turn on disconnects when ignition key is turned onChanged F19 to 7.5ampCB-115 rev. E - Added P18 and F23CB-115 rev. F - Does not existCB-115 rev G - Changes F23 from 7.5 to 10ampCB-115 rev.H and I - Does not existCB-115 rev. J - Added diodes D71 & D81Changed F23 from 10 to 20amp.Diesel (Electronic Board)CB-300 rev. A - Initial releaseCB-300 rev. B - Added source power to the disconnect switches from both chassis andcoach batteriesCB-300 rev. C - Added dual voltage dropout of charging relayAdded charging of chassis battery from shore or Generator powerMoved Ignition relay to the boardCB-300 rev. D - Revised fuse use description (F12, F14, F21)Improved voltage sensing accuracy plus mechanical changesCB-300 rev. E - misc. changesCB-300 rev. F - Add circuitry to turn on disconnects when ignition key is turned onChanged F19 to 7.5ampCB-300 rev. G - Added P18 and F23CB-300 rev. H - Changes F23 from 7.5 to 10ampCB-300 rev. I - Does not existCB-300 rev. J - Added diodes D71 & D81Changed F23 from 10 to 20ampIt is necessary to keep these differences in mind when troubleshooting the various models of the battery control center.The various revisions of the electronic circuit boards are backward compatible. For example, a rev. D board will replace revision levels A through D. However, the revision levels are not upward compatible. In the preceding example, a rev. D board will not directly replace a rev. E or later board.Battery Disconnect FunctionRefer to circuit diagram Fig. 1, to aid in troubleshooting. Each battery disconnect relay is a mechanically latched relay (solenoid). Hence power is applied to its coil only temporarily to actuate the relay. Unlatching is achieved by reversing the current direction through the coil. On a panel over the coach are two battery disconnect control switches. Each switch is double pole, double throw (DPDT) with center off (momentary action).Pushing the top of the switch engages its relay while pushing the bottom of the rocker disengages the relay. An ignition lock out relay is provided on the circuit board to prevent the chassis battery disconnect from being disengaged while the vehicle ignition switch is on.Troubleshooting DisconnectsBoth batteries must be charged and the ignition key turned to the off position so that there is no voltage present on fuses F6 through F12.Neither disconnect relay operates:Check and replace F19 if necessary. If F19 is good and there is no voltage on it, circuit board is defective. NOTE: RV CP makes no provision for obtaining parts or repairing the board.Chassis battery disconnect fails to operate:Battery voltage should appear on P2 #8. If not and fuse F19 is good, replace board.There should be continuity between P2 #1 and the purple wire terminal on the disconnect relay and continuity from P2 #2 and the gray wire relay terminal. If not, check wiring and connectors P1 and P2.Pressing the top of the chassis disconnect rocker switch should produce battery voltage on the purple wire terminal and ground on the other. Pressing the bottom of the rocker produces battery voltage on the gray wire terminal and ground on the first.If so, and the relay still does not operate, the relay is defective.If not, check and repair coach wiring or switch panel.Coach battery disconnect fails to operate:Battery voltage should appear on P2 #7. If not and fuse F19 is good, replace board.There should be continuity between P2 #3 and the brown wire terminal on the disconnect relay and continuity from P2 #6 and the white wire relay terminal. If not, check wiring and connectors P1 and P2.Pressing the top of the chassis disconnect rocker switch should produce battery voltage on the brown wire terminal and ground on the other. Pressing the bottom of the rocker produces battery voltage on the white wire terminal and ground on the first.If so, and the relay still does not operate, the relay is defective.If not, check and repair coach wiring or switch panel.Ignition Relay FunctionsThe vehicle ignition switch cannot carry the additional current required by the loads added by the coach. An ignition relay, actuated by turning on the ignition key (with the chassis battery disconnect relay engaged), is provided to supply the necessary current.TroubleshootingNo voltage on fuses F6 through F12. (Ignition relay not picked)Ensure that the chassis battery disconnect relay is energized and the ignition key is on.There must be battery voltage on P4 #11 and P13. If so, and the ignition relay will not pick, circuit board is defective.Fog Light Relay FunctionThe fog light relay allows heavy lamp loads to be controlled by a small dash mounted switch. If present, the dash mounted switch applies power to the coil of the fog light relay, closing its contacts. This allows power to flow from P14 through F13 to P4 #9.Troubleshooting Fog Lights(Fog lights inoperative)It is assumed that the chassis battery disconnect is engaged, the ignition switch is on, the fog light switch is on and the headlight switch is on low beam.If battery voltage is present on P4 #9, check the vehicle fog light wiring and lamps.If no voltage is present on P4 #12, check wiring to the dash mounted fog light switch.If battery voltage is present on P4 #12 and fuse 13 is good and no voltage on P4 #9, circuit board is defective.Auxiliary Start and Charging Relay FunctionsThe auxiliary start relay parallels the coach and chassis battery in the event it is desired to start the vehicle with a dead chassis battery. In addition, the relay controls the charging of the batteries as a set.Auxiliary Start FunctionsThe relay is actuated from the drivers console by pressing (and holding) the auxiliary start switch button. Coach battery power appears at P4 #2 after passing through F17 and is applied to the dash mounted auxiliary start switch . The other side of the switch is connected to P4 #10. On gasoline models, P4 #10 is wired to P1 #5 and thence to the auxiliary start relay.For diesel models P4 #10 is routed through F20 (F22 for rev. C) to P3 #1 before being wired to the externally mounted auxiliary start relay.Battery Charging FunctionsFor battery charging services, relay behavior depends upon revision level and coach type.Gas rev. A, B Gas rev. C & upDiesel rev. A, B Diesel rev. CRelay pull-in 13.2vdc 13.2vdcRelay drop-out (ignition on) 13.2vdc 13.2vdcRelay drop-out (ignition off) 13.2vdc 13.6vdcThus, with later revision boards and with ignition off, the auxiliary start/charging relay will drop out sooner (at 13.6vdc) to retain a greater amount of charge in the chassis battery. It is normal for the charging relay to remain pulled in after the engine is turned off. Coil current is approximately 1/2amp for both models. The Diesel model has a heavier, intermittent duty coil. To effectively enable the coil to be continuously energized, full voltage is applied for ½ second and then the coil is pulsed at approximate 50% duty cycle. Thus a voltmeter will read about 6vdc when the Diesel relay is operating normally in the closed position.Gasoline and Diesel models of rev. B and later sense voltage from both the ignition relay (chassis battery voltage) and the coach battery disconnect terminal. This allows the chassis batteries to be charged from the converter when on shore power.Necessary conditions are: coach batteries disconnect engaged, shore power on, converter operating and coach batteries charged above 13.2vdc. When these conditions are met, the auxiliary charging relay will be pulled in and both sets of batteries will be charged in parallel.All revision levels for both gasoline and diesel coaches provide charging of the coach batteries from the engine alternator. Necessary conditions are: Ignition on, engine running, alternator operational and the chassis battery charged above 13.2vdc. When these conditions are met, the auxiliary charging relay will be pulled in and both sets of batteries will be charged in parallel.Troubleshooting Auxiliary Start/Charging RelayNormally, one can hear the auxiliary start/charging relay pull in when the auxiliary start switch is pressed. Battery voltage must appear at P4 #2. If not, replace fuse F17. Pressing the auxiliary start switch energizes P4 #10. Check for a faulty switch or switch wiring if not. For Diesel coaches check fuse F20 (F22 for rev. C) With the relay pulled in, there should be zero volts across the load (large) terminals of the relay. (coach and chassis batteries effectively bridged together.)Once the auxiliary start function is verified, any deviation from proper charging operation requires replacement of the electronic circuit board.Auxiliary Battery Not Charging from Engine AlternatorThe aux start/charge relay contacts may not be closing. Operate the engine at high idle for at least twenty seconds and check the chassis battery voltage. The voltage must be at least 13.2vdc before the start/charge relay will pull in. Check the alternator if the voltage is less than 13.2vdc.Check for voltage on the coil of the start/charge relay. This voltage is available on P1 #5. If there is no voltage on the coil, replace the printed circuit board. If there is voltage on the coil, check for voltage between the chassis and coach battery (large) terminals of the relay. If the voltage difference is more than 0.1vdc, replace or repair the relay.Chassis and Coach batteries constantly connected togetherAux start/charge relay contacts may be tacked (welded). Check for voltage on the coil of the start/charge relay. This voltage is available on P1 #5. If there is voltage on the coil, the Aux Start switch may be shorted. If there is no voltage on the coil, replace or repair the relay.Chassis (or Coach) Battery Not Charging from ConverterCheck that the converter is putting out at least 13.2vdc.Check that the converter circuit breakers within the BCC are not tripped. Reset as necessary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my concern is that this is only up to revison J, my board is a rev N which has been changed from rev K through rev N that means my bd could have 4 revisions
I originally had trouble guide to rev D
Is there a way to get a revision guide to catch up to mine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry just found the page with rev n thanks, ***** ***** possible that RV CUSTUM STILL WILL HAVE NEW BOARDS
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I know someone that might be able to help, he used to be an expert site and runs his own parts store, click HERE for that. Other then that Ebay or some of the larger RV salvage yards such as Colaw might have something... Hope this helps some... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating it is the only way I get credit for helping.... RObert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert