RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I own a 94 Dodge b350 that was converted to an Rv by a

Customer Question
company called Pleasureway. There is...
I own a 94 Dodge b350 that was converted to an Rv by a company called Pleasureway. There is am aftermarket security system installed, 2 of them it seems.... Part numbers are APS255CH and shock sensor AS-9492.
Van was having a serious battery drain issue, replaced the alternator and battery, not resolved. Tested original alternator, 14.5v. Stereo head unit lost power and would not turn on, removed it. Battery drain seemed to be resolved, but car will not crank. Starter is fine - when applying 12v from battery terminal to the starter it fires right up.
Seems like alarm system is acting up.
Blue 15a fuse on the APS255CH was blown, replaced and it blew again.
Looking to totally remove the starter portion of the security system, found what I think was the original (yellow) ignition wire, cut them from the security system and tied directly together. Still nothing when I turn the key. Any ideas??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/16/2016
RV Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be related to the alarm especially if it's module is blowing a fuse, but if you've located the starter wire and removed it from the alarm's control then it may not longer be a factor. The yellow wire from the ignition switch goes to the starter relay and if this circuit is now intact again then the alarm shouldn't be a factor in the starter engaging.

Do you have power on the yellow wire with the key in the crank position?

Hi, thank you for the suggestion! Yes the yellow wire is at 0v with the key off, in accessory position I see about 3.3v, and when cranking it is 11.5 or so

At the starter relay do you have one terminal with battery voltage all the time and a second with voltage with the key in the crank position?

Trying to figure out which is the starter relay.... Found asd and fuel pump relays on the firewall, starter relay should have a metal cap on it correct?
Found it, checking voltages now
Asd relay is not switching properly, neither is starter relay. I had a spare asd, tried that in as starter relay, functional with 12v on cranking position, but not cranking. Seems like that wire between relay and starter is bad, right? Any other points of failure to consider?
Voltage had dropped very low (due to a parasitic drain on the battery, we removed the aftermarket radio and all seems well), maybe that's what killed these relays? Or is there something else causing this potentially?

The battery was dead and that's what caused the no start condition?

No, I'm basically asking what would kill my starter relay and asd relays, may be related to the parasitic drain because it all happened at about the same time.Changing out relays now, and improving connections on the starter. Hope to have this resolved tomorrow when my relay is here!

Relays almost never fail and it would be extremely unlikely that you have two bad at the same time.

Interesting... Could a bad ground be causing them to act up?

Lack of ground could cause a relay to not turn on, but these two relays share nothing in common. The PCM grounds the ASD relay, the park/neutral switch supplies ground to the starter relay.

Interesting development -- I replaced the starter relay, still did not work. Ran a wire from the yellow ignition wire connected to the relay directly to the positive terminal on the starter, fired right up!But, my dash lights are out, the taillights are out (though the brake lights work properly), and while the van is running any time I turn on something electronic (turn signal, headlights, brake lights) the battery voltage drops. With the turn signal on, I can see the battery voltage ticking up and down in sync with it. I turn on the headlights and it drops significantly. When I rev the engine, the voltage spikes back up.I put a volt meter on the battery, looks like it was idling around 13V but constantly changing (just a few tenths/hundredths of a volt), when I rev the engine it moves up to about 15V.What could be tied in to all of these things??

You have a handful of different problems going on at one time.

Do you have one constant power feed at the starter relay and a second terminal that powers up with the key in the crank position?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician