RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 97 Winnebago adventurer diesel pusher 34 ft... I

Customer Question
have a antifreeze leak half...
I have a 97 Winnebago adventurer diesel pusher 34 ft... I have a antifreeze leak half way forward underneath... assuming it is the heater hose going forward to the heater core. is that a rubber hose that goes all the way forward or is it that metal line that's all rusty underneath... can I just run a new rubber heater hose from engine to heater core? Is there a return line going back to the engine? I only found one shut-off valve at the motor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
3/12/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

This does sound like the heat core hose if it is running from the back and should be a loop so you would have two lines as the coolant gets circulated the majority of the ones I have seen are rubber hoses and they can get brittle and crack. What you could do is cut the bad section out and use a brass or plastic nipple and clamp it on to take care of the leak, have done that before. If the valve stopped the leak you should be able to make the repair, if it is still leaking I would use pinch of pliers on each side of the line so the coolant does not leak out... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question would be if I could run a new hose instead of trying to repair a 19 year hose as it would probably do the same thing in the future. also by shutting off the only valve I could find. .. if there is a return line, wouldn't that leak if it wasn't shut off also
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know how a guy would even get to the leak without dropping water tanks. .. can't see leak. .. leaking above tanks

Yes you could run a new hose, the line may still leak whatever is in the line and heater core. I would have some pinch off pliers handy, from my experince if you can not isolate the leak or where to pull the hose off it can act as a siphon and you would loose all the coolant.

Many times they will run these hoses in hard to reach spots but you should be able to pull the line through, what I might do is get your house and a nipple clamp it to the old hose and then pull the old hose out with the new so it gets routed, what I do not know is if they have zip tied up or not, sometimes they will just lay loose on top of the tank or they will secure it to the overhead with other wires or hoses. Hope this helps... Robert

Meant to say hose... Not house.. spell check lol

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you don't know if there is a return hose?

Yes there has to be a return hose but you probably will only have the one valve that you found for the system, the coolant circulates through the core back to the engine, you will have two rubber hoses, or most likely they will be rubber.... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wonder why it didn't continue to leak after only shutting off the one valve?

Hard to say, did you start the engine and see if it still leaked? I would think you would get some coming out but I suppose the return can be T'd off at some point so maybe that is why it did not leak.

What you might also want to do is get a hold of Winnebago on Monday and see if they have a print for that heater core, sometimes they can be helpful. I do not have one for that.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating. Also you can follow up if needed during or after the repairs... ROBERT

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just bought coach last weekend. .. Turned valve on on the way home cause we were getting cold. .. started leaking. .. shut valve off. .. drove over 200 miles and didn't leak rest of the way home. Don't understand how it couldn't leak if it was te'd off and shut off the one valve. Will call winnebago Monday. .. see if I can get an answer

OK

IF you shut the valve it should prevent the coolant from going forward, I would think the what ever is on the return side would leak out and then stop after the lines are empty, or if there was a check valve so it very well could stop. Some RV'S also use a coolant line for the heating or water heater, I would have to check in your manual to see if you have that feature. I will let you know on that part. Robert

OK

So it looks like you do in fact have the "motor aid" feature, the motor-aid feature, utilizes a heat exchange tube on the back of the water heater to connect the water heater and the RV engine cooling system. The purpose of this optional feature is to allow the use of the engine heat to warm the water in the water heater tank while driving down the road. If that is the case then normally the coolant will flow from the engine, to the heater core up front then to the water heater then to the rear bedroom heater. I think the best bet on this is to see if Winnebago is willing to give up a diagram so you can see the routing of the hose, IF I happen to find a print I will send it to you... Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic