Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I just replaced the batteries in my 25' Cougar. There was a

Customer Question

I just replaced the batteries in my 25' Cougar. There was a spark and Now the battery indicator, which should say full, does not even light up. Did I pop the GFI. Bob
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I was reconnecting the batteries, I got a spark off the positive terminal, which was the last wire I attached. It threw a spark, then I tightened the connection. When I checked the panel on the wall which tells you the level of your tanks and battery, it did not light up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you got the polarity correct and the cables hooked up correctly between them? Check that first and then if you find it was wrong, you may have popped the fuses on the converter. If you aren't sure, attach a photo of the cables to your post so I can see how you have them connected. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You might want to check the shortstop breaker near the batteries to be sure that didn't get tripped out. I am attaching a photo of one. The black button has to pushed in to reset it. By code these have to be within 18" of the batteries and the red positive cable(s) go right to them. Copper post and silver post. You may have more than one hooked up side by side. If you have a 12 VDC test light this is pretty easy to trouble shoot. About $5 or so at most hardware stores. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M60cddf5db924d363dd03f6ba05cd33d0o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if that resolved this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?