RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our 2009 35QBA Tiffin Allegro Open Road has been in covered…

Customer Question
Our 2009 35QBA Tiffin Allegro...
Our 2009 35QBA Tiffin Allegro Open Road has been in covered storage for the last few months, we haven't taken it out on the road, but my husband goes over and turns the engine on, etc every week or so. However we went there today and the engine won't turn over, batteries are new in October, and they are just fine. Any suggestions on what might be wrong. IT only has 29,000 miles. Like new, totally serviced in October, new AC's, NEw Tires, Awnings, flooring, furniture.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/7/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Check to be sure that the battery disconnect relay switch didn't get bumped and take the batteries out of the loop. OR are you sure that something wasn't left on and drained the batteries? Are you plugged in power with the shore cord? Check those things first............and then get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Batteries are fully charged we checked.. There is a noise on the Tiffin when you start the motorhome it sounds like a electronic pulse at the brake.. This noise is still there, but the engine won't turn over and engage. We don't know where that switch would be. The house battery switch is fine..and they are working fine.

Try starting it in neutral.........

We noticed that our inverter box has loosened up and is

And is what?

Partially falling off of the wall in the section it is located in.. Also.. I just tried putting it in neutral. It won't even go into any position but Park.

Some testing may need to be done here..........and I have to leave for a few hours, so I will opt out and allow another tech to offer something. Not sure when that might be as weekends are busy here.

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert..

Just checking in to see if you need more help on this? What engine and chassis do you have?

Robert

Ford V10, Freightliner

OK

Normally if you have a ford engine you would have a ford chassis, but I suppose it is possible that you have a Frightliner chassis, normally they use the Freighliners on diesel pushers.

So it sounds like you have all the dash power? Also on the transmission do you have a shift pad or lever you have to move?

I will try my best on this, it might take some going back and forth which is pretty normal as you are my eyes in troubleshooting.

Robert

No..we have a Workhorse...sorry
I read our book wrong..

That's OK and makes more sense.

So do you have all the dash power? And does anything at all happen when you try to crank.

Make sure your oil and coolant level is topped off, cycle the parking brake and make sure the unit is fully in park.

Also do you have a test light or volt meter?

The dash lights up.. And the oil, battery plus a wrench light comes on.. The noise that the break or possibly what you asked when you press in the break does still work.
We checked the batteries and they are full strength.

OK

This to me sounds like a possible issue with the start solenoid. The engine will not crank over if it is not in park so that is why the other expert was asking, IF all the dash lights work and you have good battery voltage go to the solenoid for the starter and try smacking it a few times and then see if the engine will crank over. What I would also do is get a 12 volt test light and turn the ignition ON and probe each fuse in the chassis fuse box, should be on the firewall in front of the steering column, a test light will allow you to test the fuses quickly and see which ones have power. You can use the steering column to clip the test light to for a good ground.

Also I would see if the starter solenoid is getting power you should be able to bypass the solenoid and see if the engine cranks over, I can go into more details on that if you like but I might have a mobile tech try that if access to the starter solenoid is poor, as you might be trying to do this from underneath the RV.... Robert

Check that oil and coolant level as well... Robert

Ok...thank you.. I will tell my husband..he is not here right now.

Sounds good, I have a feeling the starter solenoid might be the problem if you have ALL your dash power but I would check all the chassis fuses first, try tapping the solenoid, sometimes they can seize up and the engine will not crank.

Normally I am in and out during the day but always respond to my customers when I can. Please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating, but my goal is for you to be satisfied... Robert

Ok..thank you.

Also brain storming on this, on some RV's if the slides are out it will prevent the engine from cranking, so if they are out run them in and see if it will crank over.... Robert.

No...they are not.. And ours will not start with them out..you are correct..

I might cycle them in and out, also I found an article with another owner with a Workhorse that had the same issue, it talks about a few things I mentioned, it may be helpful, click HERE to view... Robert

Also if the unit sat be on the look out for any chewed wires, rodents can cause all kinds of issues if they chew on the wiring, have seen that before....

Robert

Robert, We figured it out.. IT was stupid, we had our stairs in the locked automatic out position.. guess we never ever tried that before... Thank you .. we are all set.

Good deal, I am glad you figured it out, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping out....

Robert