RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am a woman who lives in a fifth wheel gulfstream conquest…

Customer Question
I am a woman...
I am a woman who lives in a fifth wheel gulfstream conquest and love it but I am always having toilet troubles! Help AIMEE
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert,,,,,

When you are hooked up to the sewage connector do you leave the dump valve open or shut?

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if you need more help.

The reason I asked is gravity will do the work, I have seen owners leave the black tank dump valve open and it will back all the way up to the toilet. SO wanted to be sure you were leaving the valve shut letting the tank get to at least 3/4 full. IF you are then the first thing I would do is check the vent on the roof for the black tank, make sure under the vent cap is not obstructed, sometimes birds can make nests under the vent cap or leaves, pine needles can block the pipe, when this happens it creates a back pressure and the tank and toilet may not drain correctly. IF that was blocked then the toilet may drain poorly.

I might also try some chemical in the toilet, open the toilet valve so it goes into the piping between the toilet and tank. Most RV shops will have the cleaners for black tank. Sometimes what I will also do is get an old garden hose and run it down the toilet with some liquid soap, put the hose down so it goes into the piping between the toilet and tank and give short bursts of water, sometimes that will help.

IF you have left the black tank valve open for some time please let me know....

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic