RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1996 National Dolphin Class A - 34 foot 533A Motorhome. As…

Customer Question
1996 National Dolphin Class A...
1996 National Dolphin Class A - 34 foot 533A Motorhome.
As far as we know - the rear a/c unit has never been used - or possibly even worked. The "book" and schematic both indicate a switch or button, which is not to be found. The fan on the rear AC works with the switch on the thermostat (located in bedroom) but compressor does not. (We can't check compressor without power to it)
Any ideas??
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/5/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

What is the make and model of this A/C? You should be able to pull the ceiling grill off and see the data plate. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further. If the fan comes on, you know it has good AC power to it. It may be an issue with the start capacitor or control board or thermostat and we can run some tests to find out. Also, please give me the make and style of the thermostat..........analog slide control or digital. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. I will make a phone chat option available for you as well.

Just checking back to see if you got this sorted out or do you still need more input from me?

JUST FYI: Since we believed this A/C had never been used, (and it just was nothing we ever really cared too much about) my husband and brother-in-law (industrial electrician) started tracing down the problems - number one thing, on the circuit board inside the A/C, the relay had not been cold soldered good, and fell away from all 4 contact points - probably from the factory. After re-soldering, they jumped this, and it worked incredible, but when hooking things back up, it no longer worked.. They traced that down to a faulty thermostat. (The thermostat in the living area also had to be changed out this year) Bro-in-law said he had never, in all his years, seen all 4 contact points be faulty. Bet they had a faulty computer doing the soldering.... A very weird problem, but the new thermostat goes in today, so all should be well. And we're betting this is a first for you.
Thanks

I don't recall hearing that happening before........but, we see some strange things on this site. Thanks for getting back to me.