RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Where is the air horn activation solenoid located on a 2003…

Customer Question
Where is the air horn...
Where is the air horn activation solenoid located on a 2003 TravelSupreme motor home, model DS03 , diesel pusher , Spartan chassis
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
3/3/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Are you referring to the activation solenoid that allows the air to go up to the horns?

IF SO, that is usually on the pump or next to it..........check there. You should be able to see the line out of it.

I am attaching a link to the Spartan Chassis Electrical guide for you. That should help. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee. Print this out so you have it for later. http://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/login/UploadedFiles/0153-GG7%202005%20TRAVEL%20SUPREME%20K2%20042904_12720061017597280000.pdf

Thanks, ***** ***** already run across that electrical guide, but it doesn't tell you too much, I am referring to the solenoid that allows the air to supply the horns, what do you mean by"pump" the coach has a its own air system for the brakes and compressor, I'm sure the horns are tied into that system somewhere.

They are and that solenoid should be on or near that pump. You should see the air line coming out of it.

What pump, ?the air system would be supplied by the compressor on the engine.

It can be, but many are a small separate pump just for the air horns.

Did I actually have to pay $55 for what you told me today?
You might as well have told me that the solenoid, is probably located somewhere between the front of the coach and the rear, and somewhere above the ground and the roof. ************
​Not if you feel it wasn't helpful here............we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. What you and some other customers fail to realize here is that we are doing this without seeing your vehicle and there is absolutely NO way to recall every year, make and model or RV and every system and location of every item from memory. I can tell you I worked on a horn issue just this week and that has a separate pump and solenoid for them. Not all do.......I don't know everyone that does. You have to do some work on your end OR take it to a dealer and pay them do find this out. You have to decide this for yourself which is best. And your abusive language is pretty evident of what the answer will be...........you don't have the qualifications to do this, so take it into a shop and ay them to do it for you. Sorry we wasted each other's time here..............no hard feelings though. I will report this to Customer Service and let them decide how to handle it. Have a nice day...........
I'm sorry to be abusive , but if you have no real knowledge on the subject that I inquired about you shouldn't of wasted my time by responding, I was hoping you may have access to documents or be able to contact service techs that would have the info that I am after. I am not an idiot and would not be asking where to find this thing if it was easy, why don't you put some effort into it for me , and find the location of the solenoid on this particular unit and I will gladly pay the fee.
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

HI my name is Robert...

I can try and help on this. Please keep in mind we try our best and both me and Randall have worked on many different RV's for all manufacturers and remembering location can be difficult on older models. I looked at the print which and to me it appears that there are electric horns and an air horn. the Electric horn would use a relay and the air horn would use a solenoid. From my experience the solenoid would be up front, under the front cap area, in the dash or in the front drivers storage compartment. The key is the solenoid would have a small air line and 12 volt DC wires going to it. Another area I would look is under the parking brake to see if they using a T going to that solenoid. Also make sure you have the air horn, one page clearly shows the relay and a circuit breaker and that would be an electric horn, page 88 in that manual. Also sometimes the wires will be labeled with a number the air horn if you had it would have a black wire and the wire is marked SP122. Both the power and ground are black wires, but the one going to the solenoid will have the sp 122. Sometimes that number might be helpful chasing wires. We are not here to take advantage of you or take your money, we try our very best and if you are not satisfied please let me know. I only get credit when you select a rating. IF you want to check things out some more and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.... Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped any. IF you would like me to put your question back up for other experts please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating. Also feel free to contact me if you are not satisfied. Robert

Hey Robert, thanks for trying, but after hours of searching the Internet, and the coach itself, I could not find it, I cut the line , found another air source to tie into , hooked up a new 12 volt solenoid, and they work great.

Good job... That is what I would have probably would have done as well.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I try my very best but sometimes it is a challenge online. I would only get credit if you select a rating. IF you would like a refund I am fine in whatever you decide... Robert