RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Your site is asking for $29.00 and you stated $18.00, which…

Customer Question
your site is asking for...
your site is asking for $29.00 and you stated $18.00, which is it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/29/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

As experts we do not handle the money, payments, billing or subscriptions. IF you have questions on that click HERE for customer service. They should be able to help you out on that.

IF you have a RV question and would like to continue please respond back here with the year, make and model and detailed description of the prbome or your question... Robert

The helping expert would not get credit until you rated the service.

2006 Fleetwood Revolution Motorhome, Spartan chassis, 2005 Caterpillar C9 S/N: 9DG05020 will start and run for about 5 minutes, then dies and will not restart. After it sits for a while, it will start and run for about 5 minutes, then dies again and will not restart.
I have payed and waiting for you to respond

Hi my name is Robert....

It sounds to me that you are losing fuel prime in the system, all this would take is a loose filter, loose cracked fitting and you will suck air into the system and cause the engine to shut down. I might start off by replacing the filter(s) and pre-fill them with clean diesel and see what happens. This can be a difficult condition to chase down and might require a mobile tech. to come out and have a better look if the filters do not take care of the issue.

Sorry for the delay, your question was closed and I could not respond, had to have it re-opened so I could respond.

Robert

Fuel filters were checked and even replaced. fuel pressure test showed 65 lbs pressure. drained and added fresh diesel. Injection Pump pressure test showed +5000 lbs pressure. Caterpillar Tech came out and connected ET for diagnostics, performed cylinder cut-out tests and said #5 injector was bad. Replaced #5 injector and engine will start and run for about 5 minutes, then dies and will not restart. After it sits for a while, it will start and run for about 5 minutes, then dies again and will not restart. Tech found no error codes and said all sensors and ECM checked OK. Swapped #4 and #5 injectors and performed cylinder cut-out tests and the problem was still at #5. Idle shut-down is disabled.

OK

Really sounds like you are sucking air, do you happen to have a manual prime pump near one of the fuel filters, I know from past experience if the seal in that primer pump fails it will suck air and cause the engine to shut down, have seen that on a few and the engine might shut down on you, you also would not have any codes. I deal mostly with Cummins but have worked on a few CAT'S.... IF you like I can put your question back up there is another expert that has more CAT engine experience then I do. He might have some input on this. Normally if the engine starts and runs then shuts down it could be a leak in the system and if a gauge is hooked up or sight glass you would see bubbles in the fuel while the engine is running... Robert

Robert, yes it does have the manual primer and it is not sucking air we (Cat Tech & I) have hooked up a guage and site glass to look for bubbles, no bubbles and pressure is steady. Also replaced pressure regulator. After it sets for a while it will restart, and the engine runs for about 5 minutes exactly, like something is shutting the engine down, that is why the Tech checked the Idle Shutdown timer but it is disabled.

OK

I think I am going to put your question back up for that other CAT expert. I am not sure he is around at this very moment, experts come and go daily. I want you to have the best answer and he might have some more input on this.... Robert

The only other thing I would check is the chassis battery voltage, make sure it is not dropping off when the engine is shutting down, the electronics are very sensitive to low voltage, make sure no cables are resting on the frame, have seen that before where a cable will rub and cause the engine to shut down probably not the issue but I would make sure it is not voltage related.

Also when the engine shuts down and will not restart, we have cut-out each injector. the engine will start when #5 injector is cut out, it will not start when we cut out the other injectors. We even swapped #4 and #5 injectors, and still the engine will start when #5 injector is cut out, it will not start when we cut out the other injectors. We have monitored ECM voltage during starting and running and there is no change. (14.2vdc)

OK

I am going to step out of this question. I do not know when another expert will respond and went into this question blind as I did not know the exact issue OR what has been checked out. Most experts come and go and your question will be available for others to view.

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic