RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2001 Fleetwood Flair 31a - a sever pounding (!)noise under…

Customer Question
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31a -...
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31a - a sever pounding (bam!)noise under the floor board in front of the heater outlet, directly above the rear leaf spring on the passenger side. The noise occurs during a return to straight position after a right turn. The frame and chassis in that location is intact. The noise is so severe it is felt in the floor to such an extent a person standing there can feel it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/27/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I would have it inspected for a broken spring or broken spring mount from what you shared. It is going to be hard to tell from here, but that sounds like the place to start. I will have to say that in almost 7 years on this site, I have never heard of that complaint on ANY chassis. Putting it up on jacks may help here. Please let me know in any case what it turns out to be. Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question.............it is a good one!

I explained the spring mount and spring is in good condition. Nothing mechanical in that area is out of order! No broken spring, no loose hanger, etc. the noise raises the floorboard enough to be felt (As I described) Ergo, it cannot be a suspension problem. What is in the floorboard construction which can cause the problem?

Nothing............I don't think this format can resolve this, but I will opt out in case another tech wants to offer something.

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

This is an odd one for sure, normally the floor will get screwed down to the chassis frame, once the floor gets screwed down they will router out any holes for the heating vents if they go through the floor, if you have vents on the floor then you will have open space for the ducting, the other way is discharge ducting that does not run through the floor. IF the floor is raising it sounds to me something is going on with the chassis frame. Maybe one of the fasteners that holds the floor to the chassis has come loose allowing the floor to raise up. This is a really tough one without doing an inspection in person. From my experience they will set the floor and the use a chalk line across the floor and then pre-drill through the floor to the chassis frame and then they use very long self tapping screws to secure the floor, this is done wherever a beam in the chassis is located that runs across from the passenger to the drivers side. IF a screw has broke or become loose it might cause the floor to raise up but hard to say for sure.....

Hope this helps some... Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer was helpful? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert