RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2003 BEAVER CONTESSA MOTORHOME. WHEN DEFROSTER IS TURNED ON,

Customer Question
WINDOWS ARE STEAMED UP, ALSO...
2003 BEAVER CONTESSA MOTORHOME. WHEN DEFROSTER IS TURNED ON, WINDOWS ARE STEAMED UP, ALSO STEAM OUT OF VENTS WHEN HEATING MODE IS ENERGIZED. SLIGHT ODOR OF ANTI FREEZE. GUESSING LEAK AT HOSE CONNECTION OR HEATER CORE? HOW DO I GET AT THE HEATER UNIT. 40' COACH IS POWERED BY ISL370 CUMMINS.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/23/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

On many of the Monaco/Beaver units the heater core is located in the dash on the passenger side and they can be a royal pain to get at. IF you look under the front cap area you should see the rubber hoses going into the dash area and they will be going to the heater core. The heater core is normally in a plastic casing and the casing is split and needs to come apart to get at the actual core. On the rubber lines going into the heat core should be come type of control valve, sometimes they are in the dash and have seen them leak. That valve also might be suspect if it is stuck wide open. This also could be a leak on one of the hoses or the heater core it's self. Sometimes on these units the lower cabinet will come out and give you some access to the housing for the heater core and you might be able to reach some of it from outside. You will need pinch off pliers to clamp the lines or you will loose all the coolant, it will siphon out if you do not pinch the lines. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. The labor rate on this is about 4 hours in the shop but it is normally an all day job on some applications or models.

Robert