RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a dometic 3 way fridge.the temperature in the freezer…

Customer Question
I have a dometic 3...
I have a dometic 3 way fridge.the temperature in the freezer compartment is not freezing. Cold but not freezing. The temp in the fridge part is barely cool. Sometimes both are not cool at all regardless of thermostat setting or power source mains or gas. To top it off last night the freezer was freezing but not this morning. I have been waiting for a tech for over a week.no luck. Model rm2553 about 3 or 4 yrs old
Thanks for your time
Brian
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/19/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Has this been operated out of level recently that you know of? And are you handy with tools so I can direct you in some testing? Please get back to me and I can explain how to sort this out.

Hi. Although the van ins not perfectly level its very close. Tool wise, i am a motor mechanic with 40 years experience and have lpg and auto electric qualifications so I should be OK.
Thanks

Go to the rear of the fridge and disconnect the AC element. Hook it up directly to a good AC source so you bypass all the controls. The fridge should just about freeze up inside if it is working fine. IF NOT, you may have a partially blocked cooling unit and that isn't good. Let me know what happens. All follow ups are included in our fee.

What did you find when you hooked this up directly to AC power? Did it change the cooling at all? IF NOT, then the cooling unit is probably failing and it may need to be rebuilt. Please get back to me if you need more input from me on this. Thanks!